News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Printing Question

Started by Bailywolf, August 14, 2002, 09:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bailywolf

Please forgive me this morning...I'm feeling like the last pumpkin in the patch (the one with the smooshed side and the strange odor).  

What is the best way to print this bad boy out on...say...my companies HP LJ4MP Laser Printer?  Its pretty hard to read on-screen (though, perhaps that makes it extra-psychotronic...) so I'd like to fire off a copy to peruse over lunch... but this pumpkin head of mine can't seem to make sense of the page order.

Please don't make too much fun.  

Please help.

Matt Snyder

Quote from: BailywolfPlease forgive me this morning...I'm feeling like the last pumpkin in the patch (the one with the smooshed side and the strange odor).  

What is the best way to print this bad boy out on...say...my companies HP LJ4MP Laser Printer?  Its pretty hard to read on-screen (though, perhaps that makes it extra-psychotronic...) so I'd like to fire off a copy to peruse over lunch... but this pumpkin head of mine can't seem to make sense of the page order.

Please don't make too much fun.  

Please help.

Baily, fear not, I offer my help/advice.

First off, the octaNe copy you have is the "official print-out' version. That means it's the one you take to Kinkos to have cut & bound.

Here's how it works. You print the thing out (easier said than done). To do this on a printer without ability to do both sides, you print the odd pages, then take the whole stack, reorder the pages from top to bottom (you do this so that the first page is on top again and the last on the bottom) and print the even pages. Try a sample page with an arrow or some such to see just how to flip the pages in the right orientation.

Once you've printed it, you fold OR cut (probably cut since it's plenty thick) the thing in half and stack the two halves on top of each other. Then have the thing bound some wa. Jared had them wire bound, which works well.

Voila! Instant psychotronic. Well, nearly instant anyway.

HOWEVER!!!!!

I just finished outputting the "poor man's" version of the PDF, which has the pages in sequential order. These, you just print out, in order, and maybe three-hole punch the thing to put it in a binder. You'll have to read the pages horizontally, but that works in a kind of offbeat, octaNe way. I'm sending this to Jared today, so I'm sure you can harass him to get this version of the game. Far more user friendly to folks with "normal" printers!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Chris Passeno

Matt:
FYI, I'd like to preface this with "I don't have a copy, but this is what I think."

Most imaging shops or POD's, mine included, with newer copiers have the option to print as a booklet in the print driver.  For this option, it would be better to supply the pdf as "readers spreads" instead of "printer spreads."   Of course you still have to make sure it paginates correctly and that your chapter starts are on the right, inserting blanks if necessary.  The copier will do all the work.  It will spit out collated flats ready to fold in half and saddle-stitch or cut in half and bind.

Matt Snyder

Quote from: Chris PassenoMatt:
FYI, I'd like to preface this with "I don't have a copy, but this is what I think."

Most imaging shops or POD's, mine included, with newer copiers have the option to print as a booklet in the print driver.  For this option, it would be better to supply the pdf as "readers spreads" instead of "printer spreads."   Of course you still have to make sure it paginates correctly and that your chapter starts are on the right, inserting blanks if necessary.  The copier will do all the work.  It will spit out collated flats ready to fold in half and saddle-stitch or cut in half and bind.

I figured this was the case, but wasn't sure. I knew such a process existed, anyway! The reason we did it all muddled up for octaNe was really an issue of time. I know, I know, that makes no sense, but it was probably the best option for jared. Cripes! I just realized I still haven't sent the thing his way.

Thanks very much for the tip, Chris.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Chris Passeno

I understand the time thing, after all, time is money :)

I can't wait to see the design.  Now if I can only get my budget in line...