News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Portfolio-building Opportunity for Manga-style Artists

Started by Michael Hopcroft, August 15, 2002, 11:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hopcroft

I have a portfolio-building oppotunity for manga-style artists. My newest HeartQuest supplement, Musical Mistresses, os going to need art in very short order. I'm looking for artists willing to forgo financial comepnsation in return for having something nifty, fun, and non-hentai to put in their portfolios to show around.

I've always looked for people with more talent than expeirnece, and this is no exception. Candidiates must ahve Internet access, access to a scanner big enough to scan their art, and a sense of humor. A good job could lead to other work with Seraphim Guard.

Anyone interested?
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Zak Arntson

Try Julie Dillon? I don't know how cheap you can get her, but she's certainly a good artist. http://jdillon.net/

Ferry Bazelmans

Quote from: Michael HopcroftAnyone interested?

My wife does some nice anime-style drawings (example) and would love to be a part of something like HeartQuest.

She can be reached either through me or personally on sil@crayne.nl

Hope she can help you out. :)

Fer
The BlackLight Bar, home of Soap: the game of soap opera mayhem.
Now available as a $2.95 Adobe PDF (Paypal only)

Silver Bear

Quote from: Michael HopcroftI'm looking for artists willing to forgo financial comepnsation in return for having something nifty, fun, and non-hentai to put in their portfolios to show around.

Don't you think it's about time you started paying your artists? I mean you have put out several books already.

Surely if artists want something "nifty, fun, and non-hentai" to put in their portfolios they could work on their own projects.

Michael Hopcroft

QuoteDon't you think it's about time you started paying your artists? I mean you have put out several books already.

Surely if artists want something "nifty, fun, and non-hentai" to put in their portfolios they could work on their own projects.

I generally pay my artists a royalty based on sales. However, since I've a.) only p[ut out the one book yet -- the other books are in progress and b.) my next few books will be PDF-only and have limited market penetration, I have to let them know not expect much in terms of money.

You raise a valid point, though. It's up to each artist to decide whether they will work under that kind of condition, and under no circumstances should any publisher be deceptive about the artist's working conditions.
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

xiombarg

Quote from: Michael HopcroftI generally pay my artists a royalty based on sales.
At what rate? And how successful has that been? If you don't want to mention the rate publically, PM me, if you like.

I may be topic drifting from this forum, but I'm curious how well a scheme like this works.
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

ejh

<message content deleted 'cuz it was not clear from the interface how to completely delete a message>

Clinton R. Nixon

Arguing over licenses is quite off-topic for this forum.

Michael's offered an opportunity for artists. If an artist doesn't like this opportunity, there's no need for him or her to take it.

If, however, you'd like to discuss licenses for art, that's a great topic - discuss it in the Publishing forum. Thanks!
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Clinton R. Nixon

Note to forum: no one asked 'ejh' to delete his message. Please do not do this in the future (edit out your content) when a subject's mentioned to be off-topic. It's not ever asked for (messages are not deleted on the Forge.)
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Trevor Curtis

OK, I have an interested artist. The only problem is she's 14. What exactly are the legalities? I think she'd like the opportunity, but don't want to make a landmine for anyone.

Trevor