News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Help with maps

Started by Ron Edwards, July 09, 2001, 10:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I'm in the process of re-writing Sorcerer & Sword extensively. I'd really like to have a map for each of the three example settings (yes, three, not two).

I'd especially like them to tend towards "Orkworld-style," that is, less on detailing the whereabouts of every little thing and more on providing cool geography to fill in details later.

Anyone interested in helping? The following are requested:
- good at Campaign Cartographer or anything similar
- will actually get it done
- can tolerate at least one round of revision

Some payment is negotiable. Of course, you get full credits in the published supplement.

Best,
Ron

greyorm

Ron,

I'm interested.  I'll send you some sample world and region maps I've created over the years and then you can decide based on the quality of those and that which you recieve from anyone else.

FYI, my maps are all hand-drawn; I don't use mapping programs like CC or similar.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Ron Edwards

Good point, Raven. It's perfectly OK by me if the maps are done the old-fashioned way.

Best,
Ron

Zak Arntson

I am also all over this, but I'd prefer to do 'em by hand.

It'll be like my old old old D&D days!! :)

Do you want submissions cold, or do you have some guidelines?

Ron Edwards

Here's what I have in mind.

The Xar setting
- bizarre, intense, over-the-top fantasy, Heavy Metal
- continent-scale with lots of geographic diversity, with big chasms and weird landscape features

The Black Forest setting
- central-European fairy tale
- much "closer-up," so we can see roads, villages, deep forests, and that sort of thing

The as-yet-unnamed setting
- blasted post-nuclear landscape, long after the blast (like centuries and centuries)
- scale of the modern city and its surroundings

I'm a little concerned that there are going to be people I'm going to have to say "no" to. If you would feel crushed by this, then don't submit, OK?

Best,
Ron

greyorm

I'm a little concerned that there are going to be people I'm going to have to say "no" to. If you would feel crushed by this, then don't submit, OK?
Art is not a field to get into if you can't handle rejection.  Lots of rejection.  Lots.  I hate rejection [sob!]  But I can live with it!

After all, no matter what happens, when I'm done with a piece of work -- written or painted -- whether it gets accepted or not, I still have something I'm happy with, and I can always pawn it off on some other poor, unsus...er, good-natured client.

Enough humor-tinged philosophy: Ron, you mentioned that you want these like Orkworld's map, which apparently is really nothing more than a coastline? (not sure where I read that)
Having never seen the Orkworld map, and thus having no idea what a good map loose on geographic details would look like, could someone provide a clear example of such?
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Ron Edwards

Raven,

What you heard about Orkworld is not true - it is very detailed, geographically. What it does NOT have are any cities, roads, boundaries, or any other "cultural" items. That permits the GM and players to do what they will.

I think this method is quite wonderful, and although the Sorcerer maps I'm talking about may end up having a thing or two put on them later, I'd like to start with just the geography.

Best,
Ron

Gordon C. Landis

www.snap-game.com (under construction)