News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Selling out to The Man

Started by GreatWolf, April 26, 2001, 02:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatWolf

Okay.  Here's another random thought that I've toyed with at times.  I have considered incorporating conversions to other systems into Alyria in a chapter in the back.  Two specific systems that leap to mind are FUDGE and the ever-popular d20 system.  PLEASE NOTE:  I am not looking for opinions on either of these systems.  (I do have opinions on both, but I'm keeping them to myself.)  The fact remains that both systems are fairly popular, and including conversions could be a marketing point.

On the flip side, I know that On the Edge incorporated conversions, which are usually ignored.  Not that I'm trying to compare Alyria to OtE (yet), but it does seem to argue against my ideas.

Thoughts?  Comments?

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Jason L Blair

Okay, this is just gut opinion here, but *ACK*. I don't think it'll be much of a marketing point ("If you can't sell the game on the game, don't sell the game.") and, I believe, it will be ignored. Those who bend games to fit their favorite system will do it. You doing the legwork for them is you just wasting your time (time which could be better spent ghost-writ-- I mean, editing Little Fears).

Besides, judging from what I know of the Alyria system, why dilute it (which I consider the "if you don't like my system, use these" sections to be) to fit a mass appeal?

http://www.key20.com

[ This Message was edited by: Key20Jason on 2001-04-26 16:13 ]
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Clinton R. Nixon

As a fan of both Fudge and the d20 system, I'd say don't do it. I completely agree with Jason that from what I know about the Alyria system, you shouldn't dilute it by giving "easy-out" options.

The only conversions in a book that I've seen that I liked were in Usaji Yojimbo Monsters--it didn't try to convert the game to Fudge or d20, but did have neat monsters that I could use in those other games, and it actually interested me enough that I went back and bought Usaji Yojimbo.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Ron Edwards

Hey Seth,

I've been role-playing since 1978, and I have yet to see ONE good reason for including conversions.

They have only one redeeming feature, in my opinion, which is to acknowledge and support other games. However, I think that's better served by (a) respectful and relevant mentions in the text of the RPG itself, and (b) advertisements in the back.

As for the argument that conversions are some kind of selling point, my response is the same for any such argument - "Show me the money." If someone can show me that including conversions really does result in more sales and more profits, specifically as opposed to not including them, then I'll change my tune.

Most selling-point arguments in RPG design and marketing are really mutual-masturbation reassurances among publishers, distributors, and retailers. I've yet to see anything I'd call evidence or rigorous argument.

Best,
Ron

archangel_2

Personally, I agree that it isn't a good idea to put conversions to other systems in a product. To me, I'd rather have those pages filled with more Alyria stuff! Even if they would have been "bonus pages", I still wouldn't suggest it for the reasons already mentioned.

However, if you DO want to do conversions, I see no problem with putting it on the website. Seems like a good idea to draw in people who use those systems, and have them purchase the book based upon what they see. Just a suggestion, though... *shrugs*

Daniel Worthington