News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

When "circumstances beyond control" control YOU

Started by Michael Hopcroft, August 21, 2002, 11:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hopcroft

How do you guys handle it when you go to an event you planned to sell product at -- and find you'll have no product to sell?

That's what happened to me. The books that were going to go with me to DragonFlight this weekend didn;t get shipped today\rds me until last night, Since my fulfillment house decided to send them from Florida via UPS GROUND, that means they won;t arrive until next week -- three days AFTER the convention I was going to try and sell them at!

There are more embarsssing things that could happen to a dealer than that, i suppose. but sort of having a gaoing wound in my back I can;t think of one.

How does a publisher cope with a sudden lack of product when selling product was the whole point of the trip and it's too late not to go?
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

greyorm

All I can think to say is, "Run games.  Run alot of games.  Make alot of noise.  Hand out alot of flyers.  Shake alot of hands.  But mostly, run alot of games (because all the rest should be part and parcel of your convention games)."
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Paul Czege

Michael,

You absolutely need a response to this thread from Eugene Zee. If he doesn't post to it, email him, describe your situation, and ask for advice.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Michael Hopcroft

Well, if Eugene doesn;t respond, then what? Surely there are others who can advise me?
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Ron Edwards

Hi Michael,

Peace. Eugene has unique insights about this because it just happened to him at GenCon. Other people will advise you as well. I realize you're probably pretty whacked about the issue at the moment (I certainly would be) - there's no need to express suspicion about whether any particular person will help.

OK, let's see - the best advice has been given, regarding what to do, by Raven (greyorm). Let me help you take stock. You're still enthused about the game. You can still run demos and let the people actually touch the rulebook and flip through it (and similarly, touch and play with the Fudge dice, which is a big deal right there). I don't know whether you have flyers, but if you do, pass'em out too.

Do not bitch and moan about your situation to potential customers. You need to communicate your enthusiasm for what you have, not your dismay at what you don't.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

Michael,

If your fulfillment house is responsible for screwing up, it's possible you can negotiate with them to absorb fulfillment and shipping costs for orders you take at the convention, and perhaps even a slightly larger reimbursement to allow you to sell at a discount. This negotiation is what Eugene might be able to advise you about.

You can have a copy of the book there, and take orders.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Eugene Zee

All,

Michael and I have exchanged correspondence a couple of days ago.  

I didn't want to give the impression that I was ignoring anything.

Michael,

On the whole the advice that these guys are giving is really strong.  Remember that they can be objective and see things without a veneer of anger and frustration.  Try to follow that.

As far as fulfillment:  If they are responsible, make sure that you get something back from them.  Especially if they promised that the books would be there on time.  That is a big issue.  If there was significant miscommunication that is one thing but to promise and not deliver is a serious service value issue.  In that case you want to chalk up a figure of profit that you lost on the sales of the show and take it to them.  Be sure to show them your costs for travel, hotel and booth costs, they don't need to reimburse you for them but it helps if they see how much you spent just to make sales.  They probably won't give you cash but they can give you a discounted plan where you are charged less for fulfillment.  In any case be tough but negotiable, we all make mistakes.

Above all remain positive and engaging you owe that to the end customer.

Regards,
Eugene Zee
Dark Nebulae