News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Miscellaneous Rules

Started by ADGBoss, August 21, 2002, 12:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zak Arntson

Quote from: MarcoAgain: it isn't about reward/punishment (that'd be Gamist, I'd think) or attention to a Narrativist Premise--if it's a sim game it's about (IMO) establishing context and established context is good for a variety of play-styles from VN to gamist to sim.

Reward/Punishment doesn't correspond to one aspect of GNS. It refers to rewarding/punishment different choices made.

A Sim game's rewards/punishments would help further Sim choices. If you're shooting for real-world realism, jumping off a cliff would do damage. That's a punishment. If you're shooting for cartoon realism, jumping off a cliff would flatten you for a few seconds until you popped back into shape. No punishment, because jumping off a cliff isn't a decision contrary to the setting expectations.

In either example (realistic or cartoon) the Players know the consequences of actions and make their choices accordingly.

ADGBoss,
You'll have to decide in what direction you want play to go. Do you want Seraphim to be similar to games you've already played? Is there a certain type of play experience you want to create? Try the great trick of writing a "play script" (see this thread: Structured Game Design).

Marco

Quote from: Zak Arntson

Reward/Punishment doesn't correspond to one aspect of GNS. It refers to rewarding/punishment different choices made.

A Sim game's rewards/punishments would help further Sim choices. If you're shooting for real-world realism, jumping off a cliff would do damage. That's a punishment. If you're shooting for cartoon realism, jumping off a cliff would flatten you for a few seconds until you popped back into shape. No punishment, because jumping off a cliff isn't a decision contrary to the setting expectations.

In either example (realistic or cartoon) the Players know the consequences of actions and make their choices accordingly.

I guess I can agree with that in that light. I was seeing it as an XP type sytem that would reward players directly for, like, meta-game actions. From what I read I'd expect Seraphim to (at a high level) abstract "reality."

-Marco
---------------------------------------------
JAGS (Just Another Gaming System)
a free, high-quality, universal system at:
http://www.jagsrpg.org
Just Released: JAGS Wonderland

ADGBoss

I am not exactly sure how abstract yet but yess essentally thats true. Right now there are rewards in place for both success and failure, because I mean you can learn alot from messing up almost as much as you can by suceeding (sometimes more).

SMH
ADGBoss
AzDPBoss
www.azuredragon.com

ADGBoss

I am not exactly sure how abstract yet but yess essentally thats true. Right now there are rewards in place for both success and failure, because I mean you can learn alot from messing up almost as much as you can by suceeding (sometimes more).

SMH
ADGBoss
AzDPBoss
www.azuredragon.com