News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Potentially Big News!

Started by Cynthia Celeste Miller, September 02, 2002, 08:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Heya, gang!

We've just entered negotiations with a very reputable game company for a deal that would allow them to produce the CAH hardcopy (possibly even in hardcover).  

So far, things seem to be going smoothly and I believe they'll want to bulk the book up quite a bit before publishing it.  They even mentioned combining a couple sourcebooks with the main book to make it one big-ass tome of cartoon goodness.

Soooooo, this is your chance to be heard.  Let us know what you'd like to see (if this deal goes through).  Your opinions matter to us very, very much.  After all, without you, there'd be no CAH.

Thank you.  =0)
Cynthia Celeste Miller
President, Spectrum Games
www.spectrum-games.com

James_Stubbs

Well... as far as content goes, I'm pretty sure that you'll do just fine in that department.

However, I'd love to have CAH as a hardcover book with lay-flat binding. I'd love to have full color on the inside (although I'd settle for maybe a full page color illo for each of the chapter headers).

Yes ... this is outrageous and probably completely unfeasible but I paid for the deluxe hardcover version of Silver Age Sentinels ($45) and I'd happily pay the same for a really spiffy version of CAH.

Ron Edwards

Hi Cynthia,

Is this consistent with your goals as a publisher? The deal (if it's the traditional one) essentially changes you, personally, from creator-publisher to hired-writer. Even contractual content "guaranteeing" you "control" doesn't change that.

I hasten to add that such a decision is fully your right to make, and I would never state or even recommend otherwise. But I'm willing to enter some dialogue about the range of options available, as well as provide some personal history about such negotiations.

Best,
Ron

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Quote from: James_StubbsWell... as far as content goes, I'm pretty sure that you'll do just fine in that department.

However, I'd love to have CAH as a hardcover book with lay-flat binding. I'd love to have full color on the inside (although I'd settle for maybe a full page color illo for each of the chapter headers).

Yes ... this is outrageous and probably completely unfeasible but I paid for the deluxe hardcover version of Silver Age Sentinels ($45) and I'd happily pay the same for a really spiffy version of CAH.

Thanks, James.  You're a doll!  :)

As for the interiors, I'm not sure how much of it (if any) will be in color.  We're still hashing out the more basic stuff right now.  I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.
Cynthia Celeste Miller
www.spectrum-games.com

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHi Cynthia,

Is this consistent with your goals as a publisher? The deal (if it's the traditional one) essentially changes you, personally, from creator-publisher to hired-writer. Even contractual content "guaranteeing" you "control" doesn't change that.

I hasten to add that such a decision is fully your right to make, and I would never state or even recommend otherwise. But I'm willing to enter some dialogue about the range of options available, as well as provide some personal history about such negotiations.

Best,
Ron

I guess the deal is more or less a traditional one.  I'll still retain all the copyrights to the CAH property.  That's one thing I can't and won't sign away.

As for my goals as a publisher, well to be honest, I see myself as an e-publisher.  Going hardcopy is something that a lot of people want.  Heck, I want it too.  Badly even.  That said, I don't truly fancy the idea of dealing with distributors and printers and such.  I'm more into the designing and marketing aspect.  

And truthfully (and this is rather embarrassing to admit), I'm poor.  Financially, I can't just go out and print a book.  We hhad a nice windfall previously, which was how we were going to print the book in the first place, but when that money was stolen (looooong story), our ability to publish CAH as a hardcopy book fell to the floor.

That said, I'm always willing to listen for advice, as you mention.

Thanks for your kindness, Ron.  I seriously appreciate it.
Cynthia Celeste Miller
www.spectrum-games.com