News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Publishing

Started by Mike Holmes, August 28, 2002, 10:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

In discussing publishing of Master, I'd like to make a clarification.

Quote from: Paul CzegeUniversalis went direct to print.

Only sort of true. While games like Universalis and Dust Devils did have print versions available, they aren't really being disibited or anything. Ralph and I printed up 100 copies. This is really more of a test print than anything, meant to get more excitement going about the game. We will make a profit on them, but only a small one, and mostly we are hoping to recoup our costs. Yes, it was a nice version, but in this day and age, that's not hard to do (really simple, actually).

Later when we have more feedback, then we'll consider a real print run. Until then, after we run out of the 100 copies, we may go PDF for a while. We're still considering options. But what we do not have is a printed game in any traditional sense at this point.

As such, I would think that the smart way to go is to start small with Master. If you have it ready for sale soon, I'd go with PDF until Con season next year. But then, that's just me.

The great thing about PDF is that you can always change it, and nobody will scream bloody murder about shifting editions (especially if you send them an update). In this way you can keep redesigning the game until you do decide that it's ready for publication.

Until then, promo printing is a great way to get your feet wet in the whole business.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Mike Holmes

The above said, what format do people think Paul should go with. Obviously, I am angling for the Ron Edwards method of PDF primary publishing to guage interest and give the game a period to grow a bit before going to full publishing.

What do other people think? It is possible to make money with printed versions (we are on our way to breaking even).

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Silent Tamatama

pdf is the way I would go if I were Paul.  Main reason is that like you said you can always change the pdf if need be.  Also it's cheaper and you get to gauge interest this way.
Tom