News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How much detail is needed?

Started by barteee, July 11, 2001, 03:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barteee

I'm new so you'll have to forgive me if this has already been asked.

One of the problems I always run into in game design is how much you have to spell out (i.e. what exactly happens in a given situation and how you resolve it) and how much you can leave up to the GM's imagination (I tend more towards the latter).  Any thoughts?

Jamie Thomas Durbin

Depends on what you want... I mean, some GMs actively *like* a setting which is well defined, others like only a few hints... If, of course, it's setting you're talking about... It's a matter of personal choice...

Remember, when designing a game, you're aiming it at a group (or groups) of gamers and GMs... Harlequinade, for example, is aimed at fans of HOL or Paranoia (more the former, of course...), while World Of Darkness is aimed at theatrical GMs and Goths, mainly (no offence, but you've got to admit it's true, aye?)

Tell us more about the game, and we'll help, neh?
--------
"Bored Senseless In Bradford"
-Jamie Thomas Durbin

Dav

In my opinion, game design need not be too explicit.  However, defining the dice (or other) mechanics, as well as example descriptions to help interpret those results are needed.  But you don't have to set everything in stone.  In fact, setting things in stone makes things unmanageable and overwhelming.  Leaving a lot of the detail as to how, specifically, the results of the die impact the character's actions are best left to a GM.  THough guidelines for success and failure should be described.

As for other information in a book, that is largely to flavor.  Sorcerer is very light on world-setting, but heavy on mood and personal conflict elements.  World of Darkness has this flip-flopped.  Then some games straddle both sides.

Dav

Ron Edwards

This thread needs more focus.

What FORM of role-playing game are we discussing, exactly? A book to be published? A PDF or HTML file?

At what stage of development are we talking about? The necessaries for playtesting? A "not done but playable" version? The final-final version?

But even aside from that needed focus ...

RON GETS MEDIEVAL
There IS no standard or rule for "what must be there." No archangel stands at the gates of RPG publishing with a sword, casting out the incomplete. All it takes is time and money - what's IN the thing is up to you.

Best,
Ron

Mytholder

RON GETS MEDIEVAL
There IS no standard or rule for "what must be there." No archangel stands at the gates of RPG publishing with a sword, casting out the incomplete.

Oh man, I want that job.
"Your advancement system sucks!" FWOMP!*
"What are the players supposed to do?" FWOMP!
"A D&D clone without any new insights!" FWOMP!
"This is utter crap." FWOMP!

*: FWOMP is, as every good-hearted child knows, the sound made when a flaming sword incinerates a warehouse full of crap rpgs.