News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Men-In-Black

Started by Ayrizale, September 02, 2002, 10:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayrizale

Ok, let me see what I can make of this past weekend's game.  I've got a half-inch thick stack of index cards that I need to go through and see if I can remember what happened and in what order.

This past weekend's game had 5 players and was all over the place as far as the scenes went.  Everyone had a blast and I think that if we can get the same group together again soon, that we will continue this game.

I'll second Roy's suggestion about using Index Cards for Components.  Last weekend we tried it with sheets of paper that had been cut into quarters and it worked Ok, but the rigidity of the Index Cards makes them much easier to use and handle.  We also got some of the colored index cards and separated the components by type to make them easier to distinguish:  White cards were used mostly for Facts, Purple cards were Items, Yellow Cards were Master Components, Pink cards were Locations, and Blue cards were characters (both individuals and groups).  Overall it made things very easy to keep track of and keep organized.

-=-=-=-=-

The setup for the game went as follows:

Present Day

Washington D.C.

Politics  (Though this ended up not being terribly important to most of the scenes)

Conspiracies

A secret division within the FBI, which is controlled by the Freemasons, and known as the Men-In-Black.  Turns out that they are not so secret, at least not to their enemies.

Modern-day technology only, no super-tech or alien-tech.

Realistic Legal Enforcement Powers (no License To Kill)  (Though, again, this was ignored by all on in a scene.)

The following components were also created prior to the first scene:

George Denisson (Lead MIB agent, Investigation x3, Weapon Use x3)  (The "MIB Agent" and "Advanced MIB agent" Master Components were later created and he was given both of those as traits.)

Jason Morgan (Head of the Men-In-Black, Mason of the 3rd Circle (Master Component), Politics x4, Government Backing x4)  (He was later given Fast Draw x2, Handgun, Accuracy x3, Quickload x1, and the "MIB agent" Master Component)

Julie Sanders (Double Agent, Fiancé of Jason Morgan, Politics x4, Double Dealing x3, Jason doesn't know that she is a Double Agent)  (She was later given the "F-Troop agent" and "MIB Agent" Master Components and named as the 2nd in command of the F-Troop)

MIB Agent Equipment Depot ("Q" Branch, Motto "Smaller, Faster, and a whole lot of fun", Up-to-date Technology x3, Mechanics x3, Government Backing x2)

Kellog's (Local Bar)

MIB Agent (Master Component, Firearms x3, Hand Weapons Specialty x2, Espionage x2, Charisma, Politics x2)

Mason of the 3rd Circle (Master Component, Occult Knowledge x3, Masonic Backing x3, Contacts x2)

-=-=-=-=-

I framed the first scene, but after the setup, I only had 3 Coins left (which is one of the reasons that I wanted to frame a scene).  I created Jason's bedroom and added Jason Morgan and Julie Sanders to the room.  Being out of coins, I left it there for someone else to pick up.

The scene continues with Jason and Julie cuddling under the sheets making plans for the rest of the day.  The phone rings and it is the MIB office calling Jason to let him know that his presence is needed in the Office due to a security leak.

The next scene is of Jason driving down the road when he is attacked by a group of Enemy Agents (in a Fast Car, carrying Guns x2, the agents are Immune to Truth Serum, Unidentifiable, and have an Inexperienced Driver x2 (he's really bad)).  The drive is then given a name, Julio Manderez (Driver, Terror Behind the Wheel x5 (since it was already established that he was inexperienced, this is not a favorable trait).  Jason reaches for his gun, but finds that it is not loaded.  Using his quickload trait, he is able to load the gun and fire it at the enemy agent's car, blowing out a tire and sending the car crashing off the road.  All of the passengers of the car are killed, except Julio, who escapes without injury and hides before anyone can find him.  Jason calls the office and has a Cleanup team sent to the crash site.

-=-=-=-=-

Cut back to Julie in Jason's bedroom.  She makes a call to her office and finds out that an important meeting is being scheduled between Jason and his boss, Assistant Director Samuel Bennett (FBI Agent, Leadership x4) regarding the security breach.  So she heads back to her office to monitor the meeting via a video surveillance unit planted in the meeting room of the MIB headquarters.

-=-=-=-=-

Cut back to the crash site.  The Cleaning Crew (MIB Agent, Numbers x2, Media Suppression x3) rolls up in their van and begin cleaning up any evidence.  A News Crew (Numbers x1, Reporting, Eye in the Sky x2) shows up to cover the accident and the traffic that it has caused.  They have a helicopter in the sky also covering the traffic.  Julio, it turns out, is an accomplished Sniper (x4) and has a sniper rifle with him.  Julio, starts firing into the Cleaning Crew from a vantage point where he can see the scene.  The Cleaning Crew returns fire, but in the ensuing chaos only manages to wound Julio, while killing the Reporters and downing the Helicopter (the pilot of the helicopter was wounded, while the reporter in the helicopter was not, both of them escaped.)  Two of the Cleaning Crew were killed and Julio escaped, but was forced to leave his Sniper Rifle behind.

(Julio would go on to become one of the most important characters to the story, at least as far as the number of Coins invested in him goes.)

-=-=-=-=-

Julio returns to a safe house later that day and gets a new sniper rifle.  He then proceeds to make his way to a location where he can see the entrance to the MIB headquarters.  It turns out that Julio used to be a woman, was trained by the F-Troop (A rival organization run by women) and was later given a sex-change by the F-Troop and that he is now quite Ugly (x2).  Julio was Brainwashed by the F-Troop, and has Partial Amnesia and a Split Personality as a result of the Brainwashing.  He also used to be involved with Jason Morgan, was rejected, and has held a grudge against him since that time.  Julio sets up waiting for Jason to leave the building so that he can take his shot.

-=-=-=-=-

One of the first agents to complete the MIB's Advanced Agent Training, Rex Moulting (MIB Advanced Agent, Deadly Accuracy x2, Ambidextrous, "Just That Good") leaves the building and notices Julio set up for his shot (because he is Just That Good).  He proceeds to pull out his own Sniper Rifle and takes aim at Julio.  Julio sees this and fires back, but misses.  Rex fires and wounds Julio again , causing Julio to fall back.  Rex then runs to the building where Julio had set up, enters at the bottom floor and runs up the stairs.  Upon reaching the roof, Julio takes another shot, but misses again.  Rex takes out his twin 9mm pistols and shoots the Rifle out of Julio's hands, causing Julio to fall off the roof, four stories down he lands on a car and suffers a broken leg and a broken wrist.  Rex, because he is Just That Good, also jumps off the roof, but slows his descent with some clothes lines and an awning as he falls so that he lands without injury and covers Julio with his guns.  Turns out that Julio is actually Rex's Old Partner, who vanished several years ago while on a mission against the F-Troop.

Rex takes Julio into custody and has him debriefed and deprogrammed.  After six weeks, Julio is a sane man (never was a woman) who can now go about living a normal life away from the pressures of being a secret agent.

-=-=-=-=-

I know that there was at least one other scene, involving Jason and the Assistant Director talking about the Security Breach, and I believe that Jason was placed on Suspension, but I don't seem to be able to recall that scene very well or when it took place that evening.  I'm fairly sure that there was at least one scene that I missed completely, which is not described here.

I'll see if I can get some of the other players to read this and post some of the missing events.  And I'll post more as well if I can remember anything else.

All in all it was a great time and a whole lot of fun.  I'm hoping that if this game continues that we can get the action to focus more on the Politics and Conspiracy than on the physical actions.  I think it would be interesting to see what kind of Rules Gimmick we can come up with to handle the long-term effects of a more subtle complication.  Something like using the Complication mechanics to slowly build up dice to determine the outcome of an election or something like that.  Or perhaps to differentiate the Coins that result from a Complication and have it so that they can only be used more slowly over the next few scenes to resolve the more subtle effects of the outcome.
Later,

Lael

Roy

Sounds like a fun game, Lael.

I'll have to try the colored index cards.  Great idea.

We're just doing a single story right now, but I would love to play a long-term game in the same setting with Universalis.  

In fact, I would like to try combining Universalis with fully immersive roleplaying.  I think I'll work on a Rules Gimmick where you can "zoom in" to the action and pick it up like you would in a more standard RPG.

Roy

Mike Holmes

Quote from: AyrizaleI'm hoping that if this game continues that we can get the action to focus more on the Politics and Conspiracy than on the physical actions.  I think it would be interesting to see what kind of Rules Gimmick we can come up with to handle the long-term effects of a more subtle complication.  Something like using the Complication mechanics to slowly build up dice to determine the outcome of an election or something like that.  Or perhaps to differentiate the Coins that result from a Complication and have it so that they can only be used more slowly over the next few scenes to resolve the more subtle effects of the outcome.

Excellent as usual, Lael.

Ralph actually has a gimmick like the one that you're contemplating. There have been simpler and more complicated versions of it. We'll see if we can't get a summary up on the site soon.

In the meanwhile, go for it. Try something like the following: allow anyone to place a big pile of coins into a conspiracy pot. These can be used at a rate of only four Coins per scene at most, and all coins spent must relate to the conspiracy they represent. When they finally run out, the pot refreshes to it's former glory for the solution scene.

Or something like that. Make it work for you.

Also, at the beginning of the next session, have another short phase like the startup hase where you discuss (and pay for) and shifts in direction that you'd all like to see. If you want more conspiracy, point that out, and reinforce it with more facts or whatever. Also, challenge something at somepoint that seems to stray. Doesn't even have to get past negotiation (in fact best if it doesn't). But do it. You are the guardian of your own story; constrain it to what is enjoyable.

Oh, and index cards, yes. Since Ralph came up with that idea I've found nothing that works better. I'l have to try color coding. Cool.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Noah Wan

QuoteI’ll see if I can get some of the other players to read this and post some of the missing events. And I’ll post more as well if I can remember anything else.

I think this would be me:)

Yes there was one other scene besides the vaguley remembered Jason and Asst. Director one. Actually two if I recall correctly.

First, after the crash the scene cut back to Jason's bedroom where Julie got a call saying that Jason had been involved in some sort of accident. That's about all I remember, maybe you can fill in a bit more.

Second, I seem to remember Julie going back to the F-Troop's headquarters to get resupplied or some such thing.

I believe that they are vaguely remembered because of all the action taking place.

QuoteI’m hoping that if this game continues that we can get the action to focus more on the Politics and Conspiracy than on the physical actions. I think it would be interesting to see what kind of Rules Gimmick we can come up with to handle the long-term effects of a more subtle complication.

I think I may have an idea for one, but I think I'll work on it a bit more.

I agree that it didn't get anywhere near the conspiracy/politics that I had thought it would. And I notice in retrospect that the person who had suggested both (i think) didn't challange any of it.

Maybe it's my skewed world view.

Anyway, just as usual, I couldn't help but add my two cents

Later,

Ben[/color]
and now, for your dining enjoyment; Zandulf Roastabeannie and his exploding hedgehogs!

Ayrizale

Quote from: Noah WanI believe that they are vaguely remembered because of all the action taking place.

That's probably the case.  Plus, at least for me, I seem to recall getting up from the table once or twice.  I just figured that those were the scenes that I missed.  Could also have been the scenes where I was writing up the components that would be introduced the next time I controlled the scene.

QuoteI agree that it didn't get anywhere near the conspiracy/politics that I had thought it would. And I notice in retrospect that the person who had suggested both (i think) didn't challange any of it.

Actually there were two of us.  Pam suggested the Politics and I suggested the Conspiracy angle.

Later,

Lael

Mike Holmes

Don't worry too much about following the conventions that you establish.

OK, that sounds totally contradictory to my earlier advice about stewardship, but it's not. If the story is going in a good direction, and you don't feel that it's missing anything, then there's no reason to force an issue. Allow it to go where it will.

The point is that you should only use the original story elements to steer back on course if you feel that it would be improved by this, or you are missing those elements. There is not moral imperative to stick to them after you are started. Just tools to get back to them should that seem like a good idea.

In the end, most Universalis games end up with one or more Story Elements entirely ignored. But that means that the story told probably didn't need that element, and may in fact have been worse if it had been forced. It's a constant judgement call, simply; whether to use the tools to reinforce the original ideas, or to let the story go where it seems to be headed. That said, either choice seems to work.

Go with your gut.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.