News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Parrying a punch with a sword

Started by svenlein, September 05, 2002, 08:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svenlein

This is a question I asked earlier but the thread died

Guy tries to punch me.
I parry with my sword.
As an added bonus to him not hitting me, do I get to cut his hand off?

Scott

Valamir

The simplest solution would be to use the extra successes from the parry as damage.

Lance D. Allen

I think that suggestion was basically made somewhere during the other thread, before it got off-topic and turned to whether it was possible to parry a sword with your hand, instead.

But yes, I think Valamir has the best solution. Simple and elegant.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Mokkurkalfe

Umm, wouldn't that make a very successful parry more lethal than a less successful one.
What if a tie would give the entire damage(i.e ST+2 for a longsword) to the hand. Lower with 1 for every extra success of the parry.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Jake Norwood

Quote from: MokkurkalfeUmm, wouldn't that make a very successful parry more lethal than a less successful one.
What if a tie would give the entire damage(i.e ST+2 for a longsword) to the hand. Lower with 1 for every extra success of the parry.

I think you're thinking of "what if I parry a sword with my hand." This is the opposite. I agree that Valamir's solution is simple and elegant (and has a good TROS feel to it, IMO).

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Mokkurkalfe

Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Thirsty Viking

hmmm  typical parrys use the flat of the blade (training to preserve the integrity of your blade),  i think think i'd assess either a -2d activation to parry with edge (not typical usage.. counter intuitive), otherwise I'd treat the parry as bludgeoning damage.  this preserves defensive abilities....  if you want to chop arms off  take the -  otherwise choose attack and aim for the arm at a +1 cp.
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN

Jake Norwood

Quote from: Thirsty Vikinghmmm  typical parrys use the flat of the blade (training to preserve the integrity of your blade),  i think think i'd assess either a -2d activation to parry with edge (not typical usage.. counter intuitive), otherwise I'd treat the parry as bludgeoning damage.  this preserves defensive abilities....  if you want to chop arms off  take the -  otherwise choose attack and aim for the arm at a +1 cp.

While it's true that when deflecting/parrying that you receive blows with the flat of the blade, many parries are made aggressively by striking with the edge against the flat of the opponent's blade...thus striking with the edge as a parry against a hand attack is perfectly reasonable. I would not grant the +1 to hit the hand on such a parry, however.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Thirsty Viking

Quote from: Jake Norwood
Quote from: Thirsty Vikinghmmm  typical parrys use the flat of the blade (training to preserve the integrity of your blade),  i think think i'd assess either a -2d activation to parry with edge (not typical usage.. counter intuitive), otherwise I'd treat the parry as bludgeoning damage.  this preserves defensive abilities....  if you want to chop arms off  take the -  otherwise choose attack and aim for the arm at a +1 cp.

While it's true that when deflecting/parrying that you receive blows with the flat of the blade, many parries are made aggressively by striking with the edge against the flat of the opponent's blade...thus striking with the edge as a parry against a hand attack is perfectly reasonable. I would not grant the +1 to hit the hand on such a parry, however.

Jake

Thanks Jake, I'm not a swordfighter, but i play one on paper.   :-)

IN TFOB are the various defensive manuvers going to be given varrying levels of effectivness against different attack manuvers?
Just wondering..  not sure the detail is worth the trade offs.

The +1  to hit i was refering about  was attacking instead of defending...  red die against unarmed as opposed to white.   In case i was unclear about that,   i didn't think they should get + on the  parry.
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN

Jake Norwood

Quote from: Thirsty VikingIN TFOB are the various defensive manuvers going to be

uh...