News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Universalis "Starter Box"

Started by Noah Wan, September 05, 2002, 08:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob McNamee

Quote from: Ayrizale
Quote from: Bob McNameeYou could also have the hidden clues with a discovery importance level that needs to be exceeded to be looked at, and, once uncovered it reveals a Fact of importance X, possibly much differnet that its discovery importance level.

That's an interesting idea.  Could you explain a little more?  I'm not sure I fully understand what you are suggesting.  I could fill in the parts that I don't, but I'd also like to know what you were intending.

My thought was along the "Clue" boardgame idea. I'm not sure how these items would be created Coinwise, but this idea would probably work best with a pregenerated deck of Clue Facts, and Discovery Envelopes.  These would be randomly combined ahead of time putting fact(s) in random envelopes.

Quote from: Bob McNameeYou could even have a make up a huge set of Clue facts index cards, and a simliar set of random Discovery importance envelopes that can be picked from a pile by someone with the Coins.  This could lead to unpredictable crimes / clues.

Bob McNamee.
Quote from: Ayrizale
I would almost want to make it so that such envelopes could only be "bought" with coins from a complication that involved some investigation or action that leads to the finding of a clue.  And maybe limit it to one envelope per scene or something like that.  Thoughts?

Lael

I would agree with that, although there would probably be times where you would want to allow discovery of Clues when unoppossed, ie. Skully is spending time analyzing samples in the hospital lab... Player1 wants to spend 5 coins to say she Discovers a "1" and a "4" discovery difficulty pair of clues... everyone is cool with that so Player1 opens those envelopes then has to figure out a plausible way to bring these to light. In Skully's case it could be how she could discover those (and is open to Challenge if its implausible (for her to get tire-track info etc).  Getting plausibility might require miniscenes, or new characters, or new traits etc.

Just a thought anyway... would lend itself to pre-built decks and such...
...another thought instead of envelopes- use a clue card with a paperclipped discovery index "covercard" over it. Then you would be dealing with only index cards.

Bob McNamee
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

Ayrizale

Quote from: Bob McNameeI would agree with that, although there would probably be times where you would want to allow discovery of Clues when unoppossed, ie. Skully is spending time analyzing samples in the hospital lab... Player1 wants to spend 5 coins to say she Discovers a "1" and a "4" discovery difficulty pair of clues... everyone is cool with that so Player1 opens those envelopes then has to figure out a plausible way to bring these to light. In Skully's case it could be how she could discover those (and is open to Challenge if its implausible (for her to get tire-track info etc).  Getting plausibility might require miniscenes, or new characters, or new traits etc.

True.  I think that I would be inclined to limit it to one discovery per scene, and possibly state that you may not have two consecutive discoveries without a Complication.  But that may just be me.  :)

Lael