News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

we killed puppies for satan

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, September 13, 2002, 12:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpley

Romantic partners who game, huzzah!

Mike Holmes

Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Paul Czege

Romantic partners who game, and who are fiercely supportive of your design efforts...despite discomfort from circumstance or subject matter. Don't get no better than that.
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Yasha

I've always thought that I had qualms about playing truly nasty characters. Clinton showed me kill puppies for satan several months ago, and although I thought it was fascinating as an artifact, I could not imagine myself playing it or wanting to play it. Too nasty. Too creepy.

But all it took was writing "I KILL PUPPIES FOR SATAN" across the top of my character sheet, and I was drawn in. (From then on, I was filling in the piece of paper with large, psychotic block print.) I haven't read the book, but the character generation process and the names for attributes totally set the mood. After Clinton gave us a quick rules overview and read a few choice passages, we had to jump in with character introductions. A minute later we had established our character's relationships to the central figure of the scenario and we were thrown into the most pathetic birthday party ever.

I had a blast, but I still don't quite get it. The subject matter, dealing with modern-day satanist zeroes who kill defenseless animals, would seem to be about as disturbing as could be. But somehow the game set exactly the right tone: terrible and absurdly funny in equal measures.  We knew what our characters were doing was just not right, and it was joyous. And I feel no remorse now.  

I don't know why, but I feel like a better person for playing this game. Perhaps I should buy a car so I can put an "Ask me about killing puppies for Satan!" sticker on its bumper.  (I don't think so.  I don't think I could I could explain to many people in my life why this game is a good thing.)

(I think Vincent took on a difficult task with this game, and his success with it is a major accomplishment. The rule about having to write "i kill puppies for satan" on the character sheet is brilliant.)

Yasha "James" Cunningham
--
James "Yasha" Cunningham
Chutneymaker... Mystery Chef... Abe Lincoln Biographer...

lumpley

Hi there!

And, um, good lord.  Can I quote you?
QuoteI don't know why, but I feel like a better person for playing this game.
That simply must go on my website.  Too bad you didn't say it in time for the ad in the back of Donjon!

Also,
QuoteWe knew what our characters were doing was just not right, and it was joyous. And I feel no remorse now.
That's ... delightful!  And you sound like the defendant in a multiple homicide case.  But in a delightful way.

Hot damn, y'all.

In other news: it looks like my site's back up.

-Vincent

Maurice Forrester

Hey!  I found my way here from rpg.net thanks to Clinton's link to this thread.  I loved the game description so much that I spent much of Friday afternoon trying to get to the website.  I finally got the PDF and I can't fucking wait to run this game.  Some of my players are twisted enough to appreciate it.

While watching my son's soccer game this morning, I was thinking about a possible opening for a game -- an alternative to "how do you know Gerald?"  And then it came to me:  "Why are you in anger management class?"
Maurice Forrester