News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Bestiary: Print or PDF?

Started by Jake Norwood, July 17, 2002, 11:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirsty Viking

Quote from: BrianLIt would be easy enough to put a sample Beserker in the warriors/militia section of the NPC chapter of the book, I'll see about that in the next draft. In a system like tRoS I don't see your average beserker lasting too long though.. nasty wounds and no magical healing...

Brian.

Berserk would be a  gift.  Though it sure carries some flaws.

Possible Interpretation is:

minor gift    Battle Madness
PERMANENT SOC - 2 for all who know you go Mad in battle
While beserk      ST +1      WP + 2        Health + 1  
Charachter can't toss white white die while berserk,
Berserk charachter must attack with at least 3/4 of available CP
Charcahter can't use evasion full or partial while beserk
Charachter can only defend by blocking with a shield or use duck and weave to set up next attack
Charachter can't stop fighting while in presence of enemies (within 2 rds full movement) while berserk (never accepts surrender whie beserk, will attack closest even if they have thrown down weapons and are running away)
When last enemy falls charachter gets a wit-3/ TN 8  roll to not attack nearest ally, After defeating each ally he may roll again at one higher TN
Note any other berserk warrior within 2 rd's movement is an enemy and must be attacked.
Pain Ignored from will power bonus take effect when charachter regains control
If health Drops to -1 when bonus is lost, Charachter is DEAD, If health drops to 0 charachter is in coma and dying as per page 81 in RoS.

Major gift - BERSERK WARRIOR
As Battle MADNESS  but  ST + 2      TO + 1     WP + 4  WiT -2   HT + 2
BL is reduced by 3 per wound. (the mythical lack of bleeding by berserkers)  
PERMANENT SOC - 3... EVERYONE knows you go Mad in Battle "can see it in your eyes".

This leads to super heroic combat results with charachter often dying at the end of the combat from wounds that should have killed him earlier.  

Note a stab to brain or heart still kills normally.  

Yes this is strong...  it's also not real survivable unless in a duel ....

Most likely a trance like state is needed to go berserk  after an hour of meditation/prayers before battle, however some drugs/poisons might induce this state  A platoon of berserkers would indeed be an awesome sight.  And a good way to have a platoon of dead berserkers after a battle, even if they win...  they'll start killing each other.  

Uncontrolable rage might we a flaw version of this.  
WP/10  to avoid going berserk when provoked for the minor version.   WP/15 for the Major Flaw.

MAD DOGS are usually hunted down and killed.  hmm a plot hook ....
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN

Unsane

Quote from: BrianLIt would be easy enough to put a sample Beserker in the warriors/militia section of the NPC chapter of the book, I'll see about that in the next draft. In a system like tRoS I don't see your average beserker lasting too long though.. nasty wounds and no magical healing...

Brian.

Yes, but it would have the potential to really screw someone over. . .I mean think about it. . .no wound penalties.
No.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Unsane

Brian.

Yes, but it would have the potential to really screw someone over. . .I mean think about it. . .no wound penalties.

I wasn't suggesting no wound penalties. That's silly. But Beserkers had this legend of not bleeding - even from serious cuts - because they could will the blood away from that part of the body. Seems possible that maybe blood loss is delayed for 2-3 combat rounds, and maybe the character gets a Will bonus thus offsetting shock CP penalties, which are generally X-will (pain still applies though) in return for not being able to make defensive moves, I don't know, something like that; I'll have to think about it. Sounds more like a house rule than something for the Bestiary anyway, to tell you the truth.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Scotty

Brian, are there any plans for werewolves and/or vampires in the Bestiary? They play a rather important role in one of the countries of Myria. I'd like to know if I need to create some for the website or if I can just wait for the Bestiary.
http://www.protoreality.com/myria" >The World of Myria
An alternate online gaming world for The Riddle of Steel

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: ScottyBrian, are there any plans for werewolves and/or vampires in the Bestiary? They play a rather important role in one of the countries of Myria. I'd like to know if I need to create some for the website or if I can just wait for the Bestiary.

Hmm.. well, yes, kind of :-)

The bestiary has an entry for Loup Garou, which are basically were-creatures as opposed to werewolves. If you mean werewolves-as-characters they probably wont do for your purposes, but as "beasties in the night that might really be your uncle Ed" they'll fit in just fine, I expect.

As for Vampires, hmm.. lets say there are certain unseelie that folk will think are vampires...

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Scotty

Quote from: BrianLThe bestiary has an entry for Loup Garou, which are basically were-creatures as opposed to werewolves. If you mean werewolves-as-characters they probably wont do for your purposes, but as "beasties in the night that might really be your uncle Ed" they'll fit in just fine, I expect.

As for Vampires, hmm.. lets say there are certain unseelie that folk will think are vampires...

I don't intend on my PC's actually becoming werewolves, so that should work just fine. Thanks.
http://www.protoreality.com/myria" >The World of Myria
An alternate online gaming world for The Riddle of Steel

Unsane

Quote from: BrianL
I wasn't suggesting no wound penalties. That's silly. But Beserkers had this legend of not bleeding - even from serious cuts - because they could will the blood away from that part of the body. Seems possible that maybe blood loss is delayed for 2-3 combat rounds, and maybe the character gets a Will bonus thus offsetting shock CP penalties, which are generally X-will (pain still applies though) in return for not being able to make defensive moves, I don't know, something like that; I'll have to think about it. Sounds more like a house rule than something for the Bestiary anyway, to tell you the truth.

Brian.

Ah.  I see, thanks.

Didn't see your post, Viking, that sounds very good.
No.

Jake Norwood

No magical healing? Hah! I could write a spell...

okay, so it's hard to find for the average joe...but *if* you found it...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Well, ok, I'll give you that one. But I meant that for the normal guy in the street, magical healing is pretty much an impossibility.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Jake Norwood

Yeah, that's true. But since when was I normal...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Jake, I would never accuse you of being normal, my friend.

Take that as you will ;-)
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com