News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

*realistic* armor penalties

Started by Mokkurkalfe, September 26, 2002, 12:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

Yeah, I had to do all sorts of crazy stuff like that in basic. River crossings, etc. And I agree it's not easy. But again, I think that that has more to do with letting the fatigue set in. You move more clumsily to try and conserve energy. In a battle you will dig deep. Still eventually, you will fatigue. Fatigue does take the form of CP losses in TROS. And they do accumulate quickly, more quickly presumably with armor. That's still what I mostly advocate. Still, you're abslutely right that Jakes system works just fine as is. Nobody said otherwise. Just tweaking for kicks.

Along the same line of discussion, a cool system that some few other systems use, is to allow one to dig even deeper into fatigue to cancel current fatigue penalties. This, of course, fails at some point, but until then, you act at full value. I really like systems like that. What it means is that you can either choose to push hard and drain fast, or drain more slowly, but be more clumsy in the meanwhile.

Here's how I'd do it for TROS. You accumulate fatigue as normal (or perhaps faster than the rules would indicate, and certainly faster in heavy armor). Then, you can "push" to eliminate these penalties. For each die you push you accumulate another point of fatigue. I'd have to look more closely at that. The most you can push is equal to, say, twice your Endurance (or Health?). In any case, at some point you start to fail to be able to cover your current penalties.

What this does is further incentivize quick kills, and resting. And resting is oh so realistic in duels and the like. Anyhow, it gives the player control over another tactical decision to make each round.

Cooler, extend this rule logically, and allow "pushing" to allow the character to exceed his normal die pool limit. So you can go all out on the first attack with a monster pile of dice. But if the defender survives, you'll be hurting bad, next round when you are really fatigued, and he is not at all.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Thirsty Viking

Quote from: Mike Holmes
Cooler, extend this rule logically, and allow "pushing" to allow the character to exceed his normal die pool limit. So you can go all out on the first attack with a monster pile of dice. But if the defender survives, you'll be hurting bad, next round when you are really fatigued, and he is not at all.
Mike
I thought we already had that by forcing the combat pool over two exchanges.  burning all your dice in the first exchange to attack,  you leave yourself open for the counter if your opponent has any dice left

I agree with you though...  If you want to argue the realism,  then have people in plate unable to stop at thier target,  have them slip and fall if they fail agility tests on thier run/sprint moves.   then you have to implement a fatigue point system... so that the people in plate burn it faster ...  does a move in plate burn 2x fatigue?   ouch...  makes my head hyrt just trying to figure out how to tweak it for Real *REALISM* hmmm a charging guy in plate (full out sprint)?   i charge too,  when we are five feet away ...  I slide for home blocking any return blow with my shield..  :-)  net result a guy in plate laying on his belly.  Don't even try to tell me that he came to a dead stop or he jumped 2' up in the air instantly to miss me.  even if he steps on me,  he's going down.  and when i'm sitting on his back...  bet he has a lot of trouble getting up.  At that point any decent rock..   Hardly sporting or noble...  but this is TROS not some Authurian RPG
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN