News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Binding Donjon

Started by Ferry Bazelmans, September 12, 2002, 05:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferry Bazelmans

Just a quick note to Clinton.

I'm busy binding Donjon in a wooden cover, with a plethora of faux-tome accessories. I'll send you pics when it's done. *smile*

Crayne
The BlackLight Bar, home of Soap: the game of soap opera mayhem.
Now available as a $2.95 Adobe PDF (Paypal only)

Jason L Blair

Oh-ho, dat's sweeeeeeeet.

Huh, this reminds me that I should buy some binding stuff and do up all the PDFs I own proper-like.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Ferry Bazelmans
I'm busy binding Donjon in a wooden cover, with a plethora of faux-tome accessories. I'll send you pics when it's done. *smile*

Hot damn. That sounds incredible, Ferry - I can't wait to see it.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

James V. West

Hey

I want to see Donjon in a bound edition! Hell, I'd *buy* a copy of it hand-bound.

I've been interested in getting into binding for a long time...I admire anyone who can do it.

DaR

Quote from: James V. WestI've been interested in getting into binding for a long time...I admire anyone who can do it.

It's actually pretty easy to do.  It shouldn't cost much more than US$50 for the basic tools and materials you need to do a couple of books (page folders, binding glue, clamps and some appropriate boards, a proper needle and thread, plus binding boards and cover papers).  You can do a single book for about $5 or $10, and it takes about 2-3 hours of work (plus a day or two of drying time).

-DaR
Dan Root

James V. West

What about a press? I've seen books that recommend these expensive screw presses, then I've seen books that say you can just stack a bunch of heavy hardback books on top to press your book.

Man, this is *so* off-topic for The Forge! Unless we put it under "publishing"...

DaR

Quote from: James V. WestWhat about a press? I've seen books that recommend these expensive screw presses, then I've seen books that say you can just stack a bunch of heavy hardback books on top to press your book.

I did my first few books using a packing box full of RPG books sitting on top of a baking sheet.  Since then I've bought some nice finished wood and some C-clamps, and I've found that's even better.

-DaR
Dan Root

Ferry Bazelmans

Quote from: James V. WestHey
I've been interested in getting into binding for a long time...I admire anyone who can do it.

Well, it is pretty easy, really. You just need to experiment with different ways of binding. For Donjon, I've simply punched four holes through the left side of the paper and inserted bolts through them, trapping the paper between two lengths of thin wood. Then, with a couple of small hinges, the covers are added back and front and the whole thing will be covered by leather, with a large gem in the center and smaller ones in the corners.

I hope it'll work out...

Fer

James V. West

Great pointers, thanks!

You see, I've always had this idea for making uniquely bound editions of my comics and games and junk and maybe attempting to sell a few of them from time to time. But with something so time-consuming you'd have to ask a lot of cash.

But if the binding quality is good and there is an interest in the book itself, you'll find your buyers eventually.

Ferry Bazelmans

Well, Donjon's almost ready. It's just a matter of painting the logo on in faded gold. :)

I will post pics when I get the chance...

Fer

Ferry Bazelmans

With an apology upfront for the rather shabby quality of the pics...I present:

Donjon bound. Hey, that would be a cool title for a supplement. :)

Fer

PS I decided against the logo on the cover. I wouldn't have been able to do it very neatly anyway and I thought it might clutter up the cover. *shrug* :)

Jason L Blair

Ferry,

That is suh-wooooooooooooooooot.

Well done.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

DaR

Superb.

Where did you find the hardware for the corners?  I looked for ages to find a source for those and never did.

-DaR
Dan Root

James V. West

That's pretty awesome. See, I'd buy a copy of that.

Ferry Bazelmans

Quote from: DaRWhere did you find the hardware for the corners?  I looked for ages to find a source for those and never did.

I actually came across those at an arts and crafts store. Just a stroke of luck, because I'd been mulling over where to find them for quite some time as well. :)

Fer