News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Axeing a sheild

Started by svenlein, September 20, 2002, 08:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apprentice of Steel

one of the better ways to use an axe to beat a sheild  is have the blade edge extend down so the under arch forms nice high arch then so simply bring the axe down hooking the shield between the back of the edge and the haft then pull down and towards the axe wielder pulling the shield into an untenable position then you lift the axe high and chop into the unprotected foe.

Digging in a shield only works if youve got a 2h axe and get it well in there, but then you may as well pul out and hit it again to break the thing if you went in that hard,

Now if your talk was about using an axe to BREAK bits off the shield making it less useful (huumm thinking 13th warrior duel now)
then we are talklng trouble from an axe

Thirsty Viking

now this last tactic opens some hope...   but not much...  To pull the shield down...  I assume you're using your weight to pull down the shield. with the AXE (probably have to be two handed usage)...   this is going to make you off balance to defend against the return stroke.  It will also put you at a fairly short range. and do no damage.   It could be somewhat effective to take the shield away from the defender...  for an ally to attack.  when you raise the axe to prepare a strike though,  your opponent will have his shield back.   Also this would have little effect on a rounded shield  except for you to stumble and probably fall as the axe slipps off.
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN

Lance D. Allen

Depends on the type of axe, whether or not you'll be in range for an easy attack. A poleaxe will generally keep you out of range, though anything shorter, I would agree with you John.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Thirsty Viking

my mistake, i think of pole-axe  as a pole arm,  not an axe
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN