News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

books and or movies with that TROS feel

Started by Ashren Va'Hale, September 27, 2002, 08:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirsty Viking

Quote from: BrianLHighlander was a great film. What a pity there wasn't only one.

(I even hear they're talking Highlander FIVE now.. as if they shouldn't have learned their lessons from 2,3,2,4 and of course 2).

Good point though, quite TROSsy. You forgot Connor's other SA - Destiny to win the prize :-)

Brian.

Actually in my right up his destiny was to lose everyone that loved him.

I woulnd't allow destiny - to win the prize in a highlander campaign.
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN

Thalaxis

Quote from: qirienYeah, I know Looking Glass Studios closed down.  However, Eidos bought rights to make Thief 3 two years ago.  (see the press release http://www.ttlg.com/articles/t3p1.asp">here).  Also, http://www.thief3.com">Thief3.com has a nice teaser pic.  :-)

Hopefully it will come out soon, and be good.

Thanks for the update, Qirien! I'm glad to know that it's not dead.

Irmo

Speaking of defunct links, the link to "Real-time combat...." doesn't work either, and that just as someone asked me on another board how combat in TROS looks like....

Irmo

Quote from: VanguardI'd add to that list:

Princess Bride - so much wit, passion and drive involved.

Take care

*g* After Jake commented on some questions I had on SA allocation for a character concept "I would be horribly frightened of a guy with that many SA's pointing in my direction...." I just had that scene in my mind.... "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: Prepare to die!" SAs at work, if ever there were any ;)

luke silburn

Quote from: VanguardSome additions:
Oooh, almost forgot, Ridley Scott's 1st film was called 'The duel', I think.  It's all about these two napoleonic officers who keep getting into fights every time they bump into each other.

'The Duellists' starring Harvey Keitel (antagonist) and Keith Carradine (protagonist). Heartily recommended. The sabre duel that they fight in the stable-block is very dramatic - the whole thing starts off very high-energy and evenly matched and progressively degenerates into a blood and mud-spattered brawl with both men gasping for breath and flailing weakly at the other with no science at all.

Luke
--
This .sig for hire

spunky

Pretty much any Samurai films by Kurosawa; Jake mentioned SEVEN SAMURAI, but YOJIMBO and SANJURO are also excellent; RAN and KAGEMUSHA focus less on combat and more on character and politics, but should provide great inspiration for "epic" campaigns.  There's also the brilliant SAMURAI trilogy, starring Toshiro Mifune as Miyamoto Musashi, and if you can find it, SWORD OF DOOM, about a samurai's devotion to his sword leading him to madness.  

For duelling, check out SCARAMOUCHE w/ Farley Granger: the final 8 minute duel is done in a single cut that take you from a theater balcony, through a hallway, down the stairs, to climax up on the stage; also, the b/w CYRANO w/ Jose Ferrer, for the duel where he composes a requiem for the popinjay that he's in the process of skewering.

Lots of the old swashbuckling films hold up, but a real surprise is ROB ROY.  I found the film too damn slow, but the final duel between Liam Neeson (broadsword) and Tim Roth (epee) is brilliantly choreographed and brutal.
Exterminate all rational thought.
                 ---Wm. S. Burroughs

Jake Norwood

Quote from: spunkyPretty much any Samurai films by Kurosawa; Jake mentioned SEVEN SAMURAI, but YOJIMBO and SANJURO are also excellent;

Good grief! I *love* Yojimbo. It's one of my favorites ever. Shame on my for not mentioning it. And the final duel in Sanjuro...art!

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Thalaxis

How about George R. R. Martin's The Song of Ice and Fire?

Jake Norwood

Quote from: ThalaxisHow about George R. R. Martin's The Song of Ice and Fire?

That one comes up here pretty often (gee, Jake, maybe you should read it...).

It's a bit of a genre break, but you all seen Mel Gibson's Payback? There's something there, too.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

hix

While it's not a book or a movie, what about 'Samurai Jack'? That cartoon's filled with epic battles that all seem to be driven by qualities such as "Kill Aku", "Destroy evil" and "Protect the innocent". There's also examples of tactical fighting and the intense, reflective pauses before starting combat.

QuoteIt's a bit of a genre break, but you all seen Mel Gibson's Payback? There's something there, too.

If we're going to go genre-busting, I'll throw in 'Starship Troopers'. Notice how they got better at fighting towards the climax? Not just because of experience, the stakes were also more personal.

BTW, in 'Payback', do you reckon it was Mel's Destiny or his Passion "to get my 70 grand"?
(Next week, we play "Spot the Rhetorical Question in this Post")
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

Thalaxis

It occurs to me that The Sword of Truth might fit here, too.

The author needs some lessons in pacing and setting, but the first book in the series had something to recommend it. :)

And then there's His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, and I expect that The Chronicles of Prydain have already been mentioned also.

Vanguard

Has it already been mentioned?  

I was thinking Brotherhood of the Wolf.  Best seen in original french.  A bit cheesy, but the fights are cool, realistic (kinda) and very much driven by emotion.

The hunted, with Christopher Lamber.  Ignore lambert, and it's a thoughtful ninjas VS samurai action film.

Oh, and who can forget the classic Karate Kid. Possibly the best, most accurate protrayal of martial arts in any film or book, ever. Wax on, good buddy, wax on!

I love samurai Jack. He's so cool.

ps. Jake, u aint read Song of Ice and Fire, by G. R. R Martin?  It's not exactly TROS, but read the entire prologue and decide for urself. That should tell whether ul enjoy his style. Very gritty.

Take care
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger - or a cripple.

Thalaxis

Quote from: VanguardOh, and who can forget the classic Karate Kid. Possibly the best, most accurate protrayal of martial arts in any film or book, ever. Wax on, good buddy, wax on!

Was that sarcasm?

Vanguard

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger - or a cripple.

Thalaxis

Good -- I was beginning to wonder about your standards there ;)