News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Forge vocab one more time

Started by Christoffer Lernö, October 01, 2002, 04:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan Walton

Hell, you wouldn't even need CGI.  You could write this this up completely in ASP pages and VBscript, pulling the information out of an MS Access database (or whatever kind you wanted to use; I'm most familiar with Access).  You could even add data through submittable forms and have them stuck into the database, retrievable by the next person to use it.

Hell, _I_ could set this up, with the little knowledge I've gained from CS 339 this semester.  All I'd need is a list of the fields people wanted in the database and I could have it up and running as long as there was a server available that supported that stuff.

Later.
Jonathan

Kester Pelagius

Greetings,

Quote from: Pale FireI'm a little confused here by the entries you wrote up Kester.

At first I thought what you wanted were a few pre-written cyclopdeic/glossary style entries to be collated into a database.

Then I realized, after reading a bit further, the consensus was for a more dynamic registry/input mechanism whereby the glossary (as it were) could be built up by members of The Forge on the fly.

Thus my second entry.  Which was more a "hey, any programmers out there, is this sort of thing doable" post.

Quote from: Pale FireEditing and writing up definitions of terms is kind of uninteresting to me before we have a program working. I can accept the role of making sure everyone has something to write and nag if they don't finish it, but first there has to be that cgi program.

That's fine.  According to your outline goal the program will really be the begin and end all of what you have outlined.

However, in so for as a glossary goes, it is always best to start with a list of terms.  Define them.  Collate them.  Check them for basic grammar and other things requiring basic editing.  Then to compile them into a master list.

Which, as I said, was what I thought you initially wanted.  But I now realise it isn't.

No harm done.  (My fault really, I'm used to reading posts in sequence, responding one post at a time, not taking in a whole thread then answering everyone at once.)

Quote from: Pale FireOk, so sure, we could put a forum which is only definitions and stuff, but that is hideously impractical for someone who wants to look up more than one definition. I'd say make a program for it.

An HTML document would be better, if you were going the glossary route, which you have stated is not your design goal.

The creating of the sort of program you want is, or should be, relatively simple.  In the ancient of days when the Land of BBS was more than a mere myth such programs were like stink on a pig.  Mostly they existed as "Walls", meaning simple programs that allowed users to post a message, usually as a frontdoor program.  Of course there were also a few that had hard coded fields that allowed for the creation of lists just of the sort you are speaking.

Alas I have long since deleted any such source codes I may have had, which is why I posted my post, in the hopes a real honest to goodness programmer would come along, see it, understand, and go "Hey!  I can do that.  It's sooooo simple, you know, really guys.  Here it is!"

Quote from: Pale FireBut as I said: I'm still waiting for the admins to decide what they want...

Yep.  Until you know what medium this needs to be coded in it's all really hypothetical fodder for discussion, debate, and pillow fights.

In closing I'd like to apologize if I confused anyone.  Wasn't my intent, then again who was it that said the road to Hell is paved with good intentions?

Kind Regards.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

Adam

Quote from: Jonathan WaltonHell, you wouldn't even need CGI.  You could write this this up completely in ASP pages and VBscript, pulling the information out of an MS Access database (or whatever kind you wanted to use; I'm most familiar with Access).  You could even add data through submittable forms and have them stuck into the database, retrievable by the next person to use it.
Just to be pedantic, because I am - ASP is just another method of programming CGI [Common Gateway Interface] scripts.

Kester Pelagius

Greetings Jonathan,

Welcome the wonderful world of The Forge.

And if you've an old hat, well, welcome to this thread.

Quote from: Jonathan WaltonHell, _I_ could set this up, with the little knowledge I've gained from CS 339 this semester.  All I'd need is a list of the fields people wanted in the database and I could have it up and running as long as there was a server available that supported that stuff.

(whistle)

See what I mean?

I write up an entire post, answering a post, then the next one is almost precisely the sort of thing I was talking about...

Makes me feel like what I posted was a insane rant now.  

Then again "ask and you shall recieve" comes to mind.

(Kester skips off into the Dark Forest fingering the triggar on his elmer fudd while muttering about hunting "sabre toothed rabbits".)
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

Jonathan Walton

Quote from: AdamJust to be pedantic, because I am - ASP is just another method of programming CGI [Common Gateway Interface] scripts.

Well, I said I hadn't learned much in that class... ;)

Later.
Jonathan