News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

When the GM says "Better Watch Out..." (UPDATE)

Started by Jack Spencer Jr, August 24, 2002, 03:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Spencer Jr

Hey, Raven.

Legally, I think that there's nothing against someone charging $40 for Sorcerer. That may be why it's called a manufacturer's suggested retail price instead of a manufacturer's legally binding retail price. But a store owner would either need to have (or think they have) a deathgrip on the local market to double the MSRP or just plain be an idiot. Why would anyone pay $40 for something you can get for $20? That's the invisible hand of capitolism.

Personally, I think Kevin might be confusing Sorcerer with the suppliment for Mage from White Wolf that is also called Sorcerer. He can tell us if he wants, I guess.

Hi kevin.

Funny thing about the Yet Another Game Syndrome is that they are making yet another game, pretty much in the sense I ranted about in an article over at Places to Go, People to Be. (see issue #22)

I have YAGS but it tends to be about yet another game that works, more or less, like any other game. WHich is the attraction of something like Sorcerer and this Narrativist stuff in general.

Ben Morgan

He may be (correct me if I'm wrong) referring to the cost of the rulebook and the two supplements.

If this is the case, then that would be among the best $40 you've ever spent. I know it was for me. In fact, after buying the game, I bought copies of each book for my brother (still trying to get him to play).

Leave it to Ron to tell us all "You don't need supplements to run a good game" and then turn around and come up with supplements for his game that are so good that you do actually need them at the table. :)

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----[ad1066@gmail.com]-----
"I cast a spell! I wanna cast... Magic... Missile!"  -- Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light

kevin671

Actually, he (I) was referring to the cover price in good ol' Canada.  Home of the 50 cent dollar. Arguements about capitolism aside, I would prefer not to shell out anything on a gaming system that just doesn't "do it" for me.  That said, if my gaming group gets into it, I'll play, and enjoy it.  If I enjoy the game enough, I may end up owning a copy.  I have nothing against the game or the system in particular, it just doesn't catch my eye as something that I would go out of my way to play.
"Know thyself,"  the master said to me "lest I verily clout thee over thine head with a really big stick and take thine shoes, thine coat, thine hat, thine wallet and thine watch."

And thus I was enlightened

Balbinus

You don't need the supplements for Sorceror to run it at all.  Personally I like Sorceror and Sword tremendously, Soul I've found personally less use.  They're both great supplements but neither is necessary.

It's more like the Chaosium approach with Call of Cthulhu.  Buy the core book and you need never make another purchase for years of gaming.  But, the quality of the supplements is so good that you buy them anyway because they add so much value.

An approach I heartily approve of and wish more ("cough, AEG, Cough") publishers would follow.
AKA max

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Thanks for all the kind words, folks, but I think it's time for this thread either to get back on topic or to lay down it's li'l head for the Big Sleep.

Best,
Ron

rumble

Hey Jack

I really hate to say this because it sounds like I'm dumping on ya, but...

Get a grip, dude.

You've got over two pages of complaints about your gaming group here. That's a lot of typing. Can you redirect any of that energy into civil conversations with the people who are actually contributing to your problems?

You're calling these people your friends. If you can't tell your friends directly, "I'm unhappy, and I'd like your help to be a happier person," what kind of friend are you?

And if they're unwilling to help you, either by accomodating you or letting you leave with dignity, what kind of friends are they?

Incidentally, I'm a sheep myself, most of the time. I get dissatisfied with the direction my gaming group(s) take, more often than not. I own way too many game systems. (See my Going Native thread in this forum.) But dang it, you've just got to bite the bullet and take action once in a while instead of just moaning about it.

I'm still learning how. :) -- It's been nearly a month since I've impulse-bought any gaming materials. Yay!
======
"I don't get mad. I get stabby.
--Fat Tony, _The Simpsons_

Ron Edwards

Hi Rumble,

In Jack's defense, according to him in some private dialogue, that's exactly what he's decided to do, in addition to laying off this or a similar thread for a while.

Hope it's OK that I said that, Jack.

Best,
Ron

Jack Spencer Jr

No, That's fine, Ron. But I do have one last update:

Last week my old IBM Aptiva finally died (P 75 MHz Win 95) which is why I haven't been around for a while. I finally scrapped the cash together to get a new computer that just might run Atari ROMs at the correct speed.

But, In any case, what's going on right now is my marriage came within a hair's breath of disintigrating over various issues. One of the results of talking this out is that I simply do not enjoy playing RPGs anymore.

I think I'm just in bad need of a break, in spite of the fact that I didn't play that much in the last four years or so. So, I won't be around all that much for a while. Maybe I'll come someday. But not right now.

I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone who actually took the time to listen to what was essentially just me bitching about my life and even provide thoughtful comments.

Later.