News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

After reading the book

Started by MARS, July 24, 2001, 07:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARS

I must say I thought it was great.

My only problem was, I wanted more of everything.

Other things I would like to see added on the site or in future books.

What about a background generator. A few list to randomly roll on. Yeah yeah I know its cool to make up your own background. But think about it, in real life we kind of get stuck with pot luck on family, friends and other such things. I'm not saying having a mandatory background generator, just an optional one.

What about an allowance? So the kids can get toys or go to see a cool movie. Sure the game is about horror, but the kids still have there regular childhood to live, a kind of escape from the maelstrom of terror. Maybe the site or future books could detail toys and other items. Sure I could get a catalog out for the characters and let them loose shopping, but it would be better to have a list of cool toys and other items that sparkle in the imaganation and that belongs to the Little Fears world exclusively. Wow can I get the glow in the dark super dude yo-yo, can I mom can I?

"From Brig o'Dread when thou may'st pass, On Purgatory Road thou travel at last."--Old English Dirge

GreatWolf

On 2001-07-24 19:34, MARS wrote:
I must say I thought it was great.

My only problem was, I wanted more of everything.

Other things I would like to see added on the site or in future books.

What about a background generator. A few list to randomly roll on. Yeah yeah I know its cool to make up your own background. But think about it, in real life we kind of get stuck with pot luck on family, friends and other such things. I'm not saying having a mandatory background generator, just an optional one.

That's funny!

In an earlier manuscript of the book, there were random background generators.  I told Jason that they were a bad idea.  :smile:

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

MARS

That's funny!
In an earlier manuscript of the book, there were random background generators. I told Jason that they were a bad idea.  

Jason had thought of the same thing? Cool you know what they say, good minds think alike :smile:

Hey Jason any chance you'll post them on the site or pass them my way.

Charles
CAR-PGa

"From Brig o'Dread when thou may'st pass, On Purgatory Road thou travel at last."--Old English Dirge

Balazs

Random background generators? C'mon, be creative! It's up to the GM ultimately to determine setting, and that's HUGE for determining backgrounds in this game:

Are the characters in suburbia, inner city, Appalachia (etc)?

Are they going to a public school? Parochial/private? Boarding school or military academy?

As a Little Fears GM, I started out my first group telling them a couple of things: you're in the 1st grade, you're 6, you're in the suburbs, and you go to a public school. I did this because I went to Catholic school up until the 6th grade. Catholic school horrors were just too big a temptation to resist throwing at the group. . . but I want them to be able to escape the horrors! :wink:

Just think about it: two nuns in the same Catholic grade school.  One a puppet of Baba Yaga, the other a puppet of Lamashtu. . .

Balazs

But in all fairness, I have to be the Demagogue's advocate here.  Generating a detailed background is a lot of work. But as far as "I wanted more of everything" goes, I just have one thing to say: That's because it is just THAT good!

Cyanide

So thats what was up with those two nuns in my grade school!
Actually I think part of the tale with one of them was, not to look directly into her eyes, if you do, she'll take control of your brain, or something like that.  :smile:

hmmmmm... Jason, how about putting in either on the website or in future books getting into the characteristics between Catholic school and public or something along those lines. I'm sure people have ideas about what the other school could have been like. This would just give alittle added flavor. If you do, I like to put in my two cents worth on catholic school life. *sigh* 12 years of hell.

FilthySuperman

school was hell for everyone. Catholic school's rules... public school's beatings.. home school's "Mom always around, enough said".. and military school.. well that's just to horrible to think about.

T

Jason L Blair

hmmmmm... Jason, how about putting in either on the website or in future books getting into the characteristics between Catholic school and public or something along those lines.

If only I knew. :wink:  As a public school brat, that's about all I know. If anyone wants to undertake it, let me know. I'll put it up on the site, give proper credit of course.

If anyone's interested in doing up some words on the differences between the various school systems (including Canadian, UK, Japanese, etc), email me and let me know. If not, I'll do it... it'll just take longer. :wink:

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Cyanide

I'd be up for the task. Let me rattle my noggin abit to figure out what would be useful information.

Well, here's something to start off with. Religious rites ( I guess that is what you would call them)

Grade 1 (6 years old) First Pentance (confession)
Grade 2 (7 years old) First Communion
Grade 8 (13 years old) Confirmation
Now I know the last one might be disregarded considering the age, but the info's there in case anyone is wondering about the ages of when these ceremonies occur.

Darken

Picked up the game in a local store. Really love it!
I will send you information about the german school system.

This is a dead continent.
Long time ago it gave up breathing
Long time ago it gave away life for simple existence.
Order for war, future for silent eternity...
(Intro of Endland, a german language endtime-RPG)

Shawn

If anyone's interested in doing up some words on the differences between the various school systems (including Canadian, UK, Japanese, etc), email me and let me know. If not, I'll do it... it'll just take longer. :wink:

Japanese school systems are a 6/3/3 system. That is 6 years elementary, 3 years Junior High and 3 years Senior High. I understand this is the same as the American system, all thanks to SCAP and probably no little bit of racism.
   Let's see. Uniforms are pretty common in most schools, though in larger cities that is changing a little. The school week runs Monday to Friday, with a half Saturday class every other week. Most of the time.
   The school year begins in May, starts off with exams, and then runs about three months before a 3 week summer break. Starts again near the end of august and runs to about the 26th of December before the New Year's Break. Then it is back to school about three weeks later and the final term runs till the end of the school year in April.
   The beginning of the school year, the end of the school year, the beginning of terms (as it were) and the end of terms are all makred with ceremony. About an hour or so in the gymnasiaum with speaches from the principal and other treachers (possibly even people like the Mayor).
   During breaks the students are given homework to complete, to ensure they won't forget about what they learned.
   In school students do most of the cleaning around the school, usually after lunch. The teachers of course assist.
   Each class will have a homeroom teacher, and will stay in one classroom (except for cases like where a lab or the gym is needed) and the teachers move between classes.
   Of special note is home room teachers. They take a much more active role than teachers in North America in their students life. They will usually visit a student's home to make sure they have a desk to study at and such.
   Usually the Elemnetary school and JHS one attends is based on which is closest. The last year of JHS is filled with entracne exmas as students try to get into the right senior high school.
   That can also happen with JHS, so you could have your 12 years olds fighting closetland and studying themselves to death, perhaps even literaly, in an attempt to get into the right Junior High School.
   Classes studied are about what would be expected. Calligraphy, for kanji, and Chinese are somewhat unique.
   In some schools students will never me removed from class, no matter how disruptive, teachers will just do their best to teach around them. Last I heard the way to deal with the bully problem was to allow the bullied student to stay away from school.
   That's a quick and dirty version.
   Several years ago there was a TV show (live, not animated) in Japan about a group of elementary school kids who every week dealt with a supernatural horror of one sort or another.
   As I recall it ended about the same time most of the characters were finished with elementary school and moving up to Junior High.

Darken

Ok. Quick reference about the german school system:

starting with the

kindergarten/day nursery- ages 3-5, playing in groups watched over by a few teachers. often there are playgrounds outsides, with bushes, trees, where the children play hide and seek. In smaller towns these playgrounds are accessable 24h a day and often teenagers meet there at night.

Grundschule/ elementary school:
4 years long. Starting in late summer, ending in late spring/early summer. throughout all schoolsystems there are the same holidays(summer holidays: 5 weeks long, autumn holidays: 2 weeks in september or october, winter holidays 2 weeks, allways from christmas to the first days of the next year and finally: easter holidays two weeks long)
In elementary school, there is a classteacher, who is a spokesperson, for the children and often a counsellor too.

After elementary school, the system splits up, depending on the abilities of the pupils:
Hauptschule: 5th to 9th grade, a school where the pupils learn the "basic things", often these work after end of school in manufacturing jobs, in the building industry and thelikes...

Realschule:
5th to 10th grade, for the average, slightly over average intelligent/good pupils...

Hochschule/Gymnasium/High school(I think not an equivalent to the american high school):
5th to 13th grade, above average intelligent, after the 13th grade, it is possible to study at an university...
This is a dead continent.
Long time ago it gave up breathing
Long time ago it gave away life for simple existence.
Order for war, future for silent eternity...
(Intro of Endland, a german language endtime-RPG)