News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

OctaNe: Playing for Points

Started by Alan, October 03, 2002, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Hi,

I haven't played OctaNe yet, but I noticed some things about the Stunt system:

Low Hazard rating rolls generate Plot Points more often and allow player narration more often, while High Hazard rolls burn points and allow GM narration more often.

Does this encourage players to extend low hazard conflicts to generate plot points, while high hazard conflicts get resolved more quickly?

Has anyone noticed this in play?  

- Alan
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: AlanI haven't played OctaNe yet, but I noticed some things about the Stunt system:

Low Hazard rating rolls generate Plot Points more often and allow player narration more often, while High Hazard rolls burn points and allow GM narration more often.

Does this encourage players to extend low hazard conflicts to generate plot points, while high hazard conflicts get resolved more quickly?

Has anyone noticed this in play?  

Hi, Alan.

I'm curious to hear about this as well. :)

Actually, it's made to work as you've described -- the characters tangle with situations/opponents without any Hazard ratings (or at the most, low ones) and then work up to the Big Bad. By this time, they should have a nice little pool of Plot Points to spend on the high Hazard obstacles.

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

joshua neff

I was thinking this with both InSpectres & octaNe. With InSpectres, you have to accumulate a certain amount of points to reach endgame. With octaNe, it's not part of the rules, but it'll probably happen, as the PCs will need Plot Points to defeat the Big Bad. I like this. I think it will encourage Players to intiate conflicts, so that rolls are required, to accumulate more points. With both games, needing more rolls means creating more story. Nice.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Alan

Hi,

I like the mechanic as well, but I was wondering if it affects the amount of dramatic detail that goes into low-hazard vs. high-hazard conflicts.  In my ideal game, a high-hazard conflict would have more detail and interaction than any single smaller conflict.  

Does this happen in real play, or does the mechanic encourage extending lesser conflicts while resolving the bigger ones as quickly as possible?

What does actual play demonstrate?

- Alan
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com