News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

"Iron Game Chef" Lives!

Started by Mike Holmes, October 09, 2002, 04:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

Iron Game Chef Contest!

I can wait no longer! The people have spoken, and must know! Are there designers yet living who can accept the challenge to create a game in one week?!?!

This week's challenge! Create an entire Gamist game that incorporates three of the following four terms:

Africa
Art
Court
Numerology

Here are my rules:
[list=1][*]Submissions to this contest must be made no later than midnight CDT on Oct 16th, 2002. [*]Post all submissions to this thread.
[*]Any submission edited after the deadline will be disqulaified. [*]Submissions will be judged by myself on the following categories: Style, Estimated Effectiveness in Play, Creative and Effective Incorporation of the Above Terms, and Completeness.
[*]Bragging rights only at this point (although I'm looking for a prize for the winner).
[*]The winner and runner up will be announced on or before October 20th, 2002. [/list:o]

Here are some rules from the moderators (Ron) on doing these in the future:
Quote1) Only one of these contests may be running at a time.
2) All submissions for the contest are posted to its and only its thread.
3) This is provisional - if I don't like the way that the contest affects posting practices or interactions, it's dead.
4) If anyone poses a good reason to me why we shouldn't be doing this, it's dead.

Direct any questions to myself, or this thread.

Now, Iron Game Chef Gamist Challengers! Get Ready to create!

GO!
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Valamir

Game?  or Role Playing Game...

Mike Holmes

Role-Playing game (c'mon, man). Defined intuitively. If you get too far from what may reasonably be constued an RPG you may be penalized! OTOH, you may get points for creativity. Do so at your own risk!

Mike

JSDiamond

By 'court' do you mean a legal court of law or a royal court?
Or is it up to our interpretation.

Maybe you would edit your original post and clarify the terms?

Jeff
JSDiamond

contracycle

Can it be a "closed" game that only runs one?  Or does it have to be an "open" game like most available today?
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Mike Holmes

Quote from: JSDiamondMaybe you would edit your original post and clarify the terms?
Heavens no. I'm not looking for a certain type of game with particular terms. All uses of Court will be judged equally as will any use of Africa (perhaps someone can find an alternate meaning for that and incorporate it).  :-)

Mike

Mike Holmes

Quote from: contracycleCan it be a "closed" game that only runs one?  Or does it have to be an "open" game like most available today?
Any sort of RPG you like. When I said the intuitive definition above, I mean a fairly broad definition. And no I will not get into specifics. All I'm saying is that if you make a game that has all the "role-playing" of Monopoly, then I may penalize based on it's suitability. It does have to be an RPG in some sense of the term.

I'd think that most one-shot concepts (assuming that's what you meant) will fit most defintions of RPG.

Mike

Jonathan Walton

This is going to rock!

Bonus "Cool Points" for anyone who uses ALL FOUR!

Later.
Jonathan, Iron Chef Ah Q

talysman

it certainly IS going to ROCK.

I was only half-interested at first, but then I came up with a killer concept... and I mean "killer"! I didn't just like the idea, I actually thought "WOW!" and want to hurry up and finish it, then trick-- err, convince people to play it with me. it seems like incredible fun.

heck, I have may basic game mechanic done, and it's an unusual one... I like this concept so much that I plan on submitting the basic game, then developing it later into something fleshier.

it'll be interesting to see what everyone else can come up with in the limited time we were given, too.

my brain right now is like the whirling blades of a food processor!
John Laviolette
(aka Talysman the Ur-Beatle)
rpg projects: http://www.globalsurrealism.com/rpg

Mike Holmes

Hahaha! Talk about your wonderous designs all you like! The proof will be in the posting! Half a day already gone! Get to the baking of these delicious new games!

Tanaka San, how are things shaping up in the early going?

QuoteTanaka San: Well, it seems like we have two challengers who have presented themselves early. Gareth Martin San seems to be indicating that he might be entering a design that is a one-shot game. An interesing concept, fairly new in RPG cuisine. Should be interesting.

Talysman San seems to be very enthused about some idea and has hinted that he is using some ingredient that he says is "Killer", or perhpas that is the actual ingredient. Sounds tantalizing.

Thanks Tanaka San. Will these Iron Game Chef Challengers complete their designs by the deadline! What will they be like! Stay tuned for more details!

Mike "Chairman" Holmes

Jonathan Walton

Ah, yes!  The first appetizers are flying out of the woks!  What does this imply about the even more savory creations on the way?  Who knows?!

The rumors are flying as fast as the food!  What matter of game is this, Johnny?  Stay tuned after the break!

Brought to you, in part, by:
Jonathan Walton & 100 Flowers Studios,
Makers of Fine Games and Comics

Paul Czege

Hey Jonathan,

That's a very cool logo. You're trying to intimidate the other competitors, eh?

If you don't mind me asking, what font did you use?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jonathan Walton

Quote from: Paul CzegeThat's a very cool logo. You're trying to intimidate the other competitors, eh?

Showing off, maybe, but not trying to intimidate anyone.  I'm going all-out for this, and I hope others are too.  The more great stuff we end up with, the better.

QuoteIf you don't mind me asking, what font did you use?

The font is called "Blackadder ITC."  I love it because it has this sort of pirate/18th-century-exploration feel to it.  Also good for Shakespearean stuff, too.

Later.
Jonathan, returning to map-making... (heh, heh, heh...)

greyorm

I'm throwing my wok into the ring as well.
Though originally I wasn't going to -- I'm a slooow developer -- I typed something up quick to see what my brain spat out, and thus I've already got a few delicious concepts down (and I used ALL FOUR ingredients). Now we'll see if I can make an edible dish out of it
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Mike Holmes

Chairman Holmes:
Whoa!

What's that I see posted above! I agree with Cheggy-San that this might be an attempt to make an intimidating entrance into Iron Game Chef Stadium. Still, it looks like great flavor! Will the rest of the meal be worthy of such stunning hors d'oeuvres? And "Blackadder"? Does the challenger know of the Chairman's predeliction for the BBC and Rowan Atkinson in particular?!? And maps to further enhancee flavor? I don't think we've ever seen this in Iron Game Chef Stadium! This is another favorite of the Chairman. Perhaps the challenger has done his research?

I will, as always, however, remain completely impartial. :-)

QuoteTanaka San: Chairman-san, sorry to interrupt. In addition, the reknowned Reverend Daegmorgan has thrown his hat into the ring in a more subtle fashion. He has, however made a claim that he has something brewing which uses all four of the ingredients, and seems confident. What could he have up his sleeve?

Indeed, we shall see!