News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

octane & pulp era rewrites

Started by joshua neff, June 06, 2001, 01:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua neff

j--

what exactly are the differences between version 1 & version 2 of these? (since yr being a lazy bastard & not putting them up, i thought i'd ask, especially as i've been in quite the pulpy mood lately)...
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Jared A. Sorensen

Quite a bit.

The PE system is a bit too...not good.  I knew what I wanted to do (kinda) but I had 2 other guys adding their own stuff and it kinda got watered down.

octaNe: premium uNleaded has got tons of Roles, no attributes/merits/skills, a better way to handle Styles and more setting detail.  It also has a dice AND a card mechanic (so you can play it with six-siders or playing cards).  I think it's hot!

jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

joshua neff

jared--

sounds cool...you should get that up on yr website, sparky...
i know what you mean about the systems--i like pulp era, but there's just something about it that turns me off...otherwise, i think it's nifty...but the revised version sounds more up my alley, anyway...
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Jared A. Sorensen

Yup -- to throw some jargon around, PE is a tad too simulationist for my tastes.

Jared A. Sorensen

OK, screw this.

I had a small army of playtesters.  They're pretty much all a bunch of gamer flakes -- then it hits me...the Forge.  Passionate, freaky creative types who will look at a game and (gasp!) talk about it...oh, the Humanity!

So here you go, party people.  octaNe: premium uNleaded.

http://www.memento-mori.com/octane/opu.doc

- J

Jared A. Sorensen

I just came across Ninjaburger.com (again) and I'm gonna add a new Role to the cast list of octaNe: the Fast-Food Ninja (ie: Hiro Protagonist from Snow Crash).  Pizza, burger, sushi...just make the call and a black-clothed shadow warrior will get it to you or die trying. :smile:

Jared A. Sorensen

Three posts in a row in my own topic...is that a record?

Anyway, I just wanted to let folks know that after I do octaNe v2 and the Pulp Era supplement, I'm gonna tackle a new style of pulp adventure:

"The Riddle of Steel" -- down & dirty, blood & sweat sword & sorcery.  Here's the cool part: aside from numerous new Roles (barbarian princess, king of thieves, horseman, sorcerer, etc), I'm going to replace the 6 styles with a bunch of new ones...and they're all going to reflect some sort of personality-type relevant to the source material -- Foolish, Lusty, Wrathful, Sneaky, Melancholy...that kinda thing.

So, look for that in the near future..."CRRROOOOOMMM!"

And props to Ron Edwards for writing "Sorcerer & Sword" (which kicks ass!) and to the Wick for introducing me to the genius of John Milius' Conan.

Blake Hutchins

octaNe: premium kicks much ass, Jared. Hardcore, kevlar-sequined ass. I look forward to "The Riddle of Steel."

Best,

Blake

Paul Czege

Hey Jared,

How about a .rtf or .pdf version for the non MS-Word crowd?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jared A. Sorensen

blå

What in the world has happened to Pulp era? Where is it? I want it! You havent taken it off the site have you? See I was just checking out new games and I came across White wolfs "Adventure", since Ive I have been burned before by white wolfs products I decided against a purchase. Thats when I remembered this site and the fact that you had a game that looked JUST like Adventure, gimmicks and such I mean. But when I looked for it *sob* it was gone... Is there perhaps some way of getting it back?

Heart broken,
BLÅ

Jared A. Sorensen

Here's the poop on Pulp Era.

One of the co-authors asked me to remove it as he's working on his own game -- and since "Pulp Era" is his creation, I agreed.

However, I have a Pulp serials game ready and rarin' to go. Actually, I have 3 Pulp games done...all using the same basic system (it's my "pulp thrillogy")":

Blood & Steel: sword & sorcery
Untitled pulp game: 20's/30's pulp cliffhanger action
octaNe: psychotronic, b-movie sci-fi

I don't know when they'll be up for public scrutiny. If I can get some art done, I want to PDF 'em and sell 'em as a single product (or, at least sell octaNe and throw in the other 2 as freeebies on the site).

And I agree with ya on Adventure. I picked it up, looked at it, went "Huh...I wrote this already." and put it down. :wink:

Jared A. Sorensen

Jason L Blair

Jared... my ass is now thoroughly rocked. That sheet is the bizzomb.

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer