News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Wayfarer's Song - PDF

Started by Peregrine, October 15, 2002, 09:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christoffer Lernö

Any hope seeing you use the quote tags soon Peregrine? It got awfully messy reading some parts ;)

First, the spotlight thing, how well does it work with interruption style actions? What about dramatic interrupts? What I mean by that can be found in this thread. I'm interested in how your game behaves in situations such as those listed in that thread.

Quote from: PeregrineThe main difference between a cumulative test and a dice pool is that a cumulative test is open ended. You can keep passing dice rolls until you fail. In the above example it is not particualrily important but for opposed contests of fortitude, willpower etc, a cumulative test comes into its own.

There is no problem to do the cumulative test. If you start out with a pool or roll one at a time amounts to pretty much the same thing. And if you only have 1 die you can still do the pool thing and it'll look identical to the consequtive-rolls method.

Why I brought it up was because realizing these effects you  have an option to use the reverse situation to increase chance of success, while still keeping failure an option.

QuoteI think I follow you here. The bumps of two just seem to work out okay in play.
May I venture to guess that you chose it so that the amount of possible die rolls descriptions would be 5? :)

Quote from: PeregrinThe combat mechanism (which can be used for any contest of skills - chess, swiming, sprinting, whatever) is one of the more odd mechanics in the game - I hope I've explained it well.

Ok, now I get it it. Basically BRP with the attacker being able to select a modifier to apply to both attacker and defender.

I can see that bringing some excitement as you could gamble on setting the difficulty high and low. It's interesting. I could see a lot of juggling with those concepts though "average" "basic" and so on. It focuses on strategy instead of vivid combat scenes. At a quick glance anyway. In any way it's a big step away from the usual combat system trash. It's an interesting idea.

Quote from: PeregrineFair enough comment. My only guide for granularity was to keep the number '5' a fairly common constant in the system. Why? I've no idea, it just kind of evolved that way and made sense.
I have an idea, seeing your WW comments popping up here and there... It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that most WW stuff uses 5 levels now would it? :)
formerly Pale Fire
[Yggdrasil (in progress) | The Evil (v1.2)]
Ranked #1005 in meaningful posts
Indie-Netgaming member