News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

artist advice: too old to learn?

Started by Bailywolf, October 15, 2002, 08:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bailywolf

I have the vision... what I lack is the ability to put it onto paper as an image.  I can write it... but couldn't draw it to save my life, and frankly would love to be able to illustrate some of my own work.  

I'm 26.  I've never had any amature or professional art training.  Is it too late for me to learn how to draw passably well?  Should I expend the effort somewhere else?

Thanks,

-Benjamin

ethan_greer

I've always been of the opinion that if you can't learn something, then you're dead.   :)

If drawing is something you want to learn to do, then you should do it.  It doesn't matter how old you are.  I'd love to be able to recommend resources and such to help you learn, but I'm not really into illustrating.

I would also point out that there are other means of illustration besides drawing.  Photography, computer graphics, linoleum block printing, fingerpainting, etc.  There's bound to be one of those techniques that you'll be able to do to your satisfaction.  Experiment and have fun!

Jeremy Cole

If there is an RPG illustrated with finger-painting I must have it! :)

Jeremy
what is this looming thing
not money, not flesh, nor happiness
but this which makes me sing

augie march

Tim C Koppang

Speaking as someone who has taken some photography, cartooning, and drawing classes (but that still doesn't mean I'm actually good at them) I'd say that yes, you can teach yourself the trade.  But, it's going to take some effort.  People who draw well, draw all the time.  It's about practice.  And to be honest, if you want to learn about drawing, I'd start with realistic depictions.  Pick something like a photograph in a magazine or set up a still life and pracice drawing that before you try illustration.  In my opinion, you learn a lot from showing how something really is.  Then you can start to mess with the unreal.  If you can't sign up for a class at a community college, then go get a book - there's plenty of good ones out there.

greyorm

Ben,

Heck no.

Illustration honestly isn't some magical skill that only an adept few can pull off. I'm still learning myself, and I'm an "actual artist" (whatever that is).

Just keep in mind that you will suck for quite a while, but all without all that sucking, you won't get anywhere. Heck, even once you're past the "suck" stage, you'll still produce crap you think sucks, or things you think aren't up to par -- gods know I still do.

But, for every crappy result you have, you're that much closer to a stunning one, and you just got that much better.  This is something I have to remind myself a whole lot.

So, go for it! I look forward to seeing what you can do!
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Ron Edwards

Hi Ben,

From what I understand from perusing studies, anecdotes, and programs, learning to illustrate and draw is something people can do, and do well, throughout life. It requires a hell of a lot of attention, literally practicing day after day much like a musician. Some individuals do best with a mentor; others do best without. Most mentors prefer to work with someone who's achieved a certain level of competence on their own.

One thing every artist I've ever known has told me is this: developing classic representational skill first is a must. Or to put it more bluntly, if you can't draw a cow that others will recognize and be interested in, your abstracts or anything else funky will really suck.

Best,
Ron

Bankuei

I think my martial arts teacher put it best:

"When do you stop learning?  -When you choose to!"

As an artist, I can say that some folks are very good at realistic representation of what they see, others, at things in their head.  I for instance, am so-so at drawing what's in front of me, but can whip anything out of my head.  Others can only draw what they see, and not anything imaginary.  Don't get upset if you find in a few years that you happen to fall into one of these categories, just make the best use of it you can.

Other useful tidbits:
•The sketchbook must travel with you at all times.  Sketch or doodle whenever you get a minute, on the bus, in a restaurant, in the doctor's office, etc.
•If you want to draw people, I've found mall foodcourts to be awesome.  People sit down for about 15-20 minutes, don't move around too much, and are too distracted to notice you sketching them.
•Study from other artists, and don't be afraid to copy pictures to learn.  Many students now go in blind, trying to draw still lifes and models, with no idea of anatomy and perspective.  If you look into history, the old masters always started with having folks copy other masters.
•Don't get frustrated.  No picture is ever perfect, no picture is ever done.  There's a fine line, known as "done enough".  Find it and don't cross it :P

Chris

Bob McNamee

Remember too....
The reason you draw like an eight year old... is probably because that is when you stopped practicing. Its not about talent, its about practice...the same as reading (if we believed that only "talented" readers could read how many people would stop at 7 or 8?)

And one other important tip...most people don't like their own stuff, especially artists. Only if I get away from something for long enough to forget it can I enjoy a painting.

Of course even more dangerous is to like everything you do ... I guess.
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

Bob McNamee

Look into the books
"Drawing on the Right side of the Brain" and "Drawing on the Artist Within" by Betty Edwards(?)
"Experiential Drawing" by
These will give you good jumpstart exercises...

Get good reference drawings and photos of what you want to draw.

Don't just limit yourself to drawing. Check out sculptural stuff...like modeling with polymer clays (Fimo,Sculpey). I found after I began woodcarving my drawing skills increased (I think it has something to do with really knowing how something looks...in order to "carve away everything that doesn't look like an elephant" you have to really know what an elephant looks like...exactly)
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

Mike Holmes

Hmm. I agree that a person can learn these things. But I'm skeptical that a person of a later age will likely become good enough at it to want to publish their own material. Because people tend to follow up on things that they have a natural talent for. This happens because such a talent makes one more successful earlier on.

The point is that most people get a feel for how good they are when they are young. Almost everyone is encouraged to draw as a youngster. And when we do, we either find it relatively easy or hard. And those who find it easy persue it. Others do not, usually. Further, those with such a passion from youth, whether talented or not, have at least their passion to propel them. This is an advantage itself.

This is not to say that every person who's made it to adulthood has no natural talent. Some may have just not gone through my self-diagnostic, or made an inappropriate self-diagnostic as a youth. But it seems to me that the odds are not in one's favor.

Lots of people want to be artists, and some actually are. Trying to get to the level of the real artists is not easy.

What I'm saying here is give it a try. See if you have a passion or natural talent that you missed as a kid (they have some really good diagnostic methods available). But be prepared to find that you are not an artist.

Or at least not on the level that you'd want to use your art for sale. Anyone can draw, paint, whatever, and please themselves. If this is all you want to achieve, then, by all means take a class. The only question is whether anyone else will like what you make. And from what I know of it, this is a very, very hard level of ability to reach, even with talent and passion.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ben Morgan

Quote from: BankueiDon't get frustrated. No picture is ever perfect, no picture is ever done. There's a fine line, known as "done enough". Find it and don't cross it :P
And therein lies my eternal dilemma. I, unfortunately for anyone who has ever given me a deadline, am a perfectionist. :)
-----[Ben Morgan]-----[ad1066@gmail.com]-----
"I cast a spell! I wanna cast... Magic... Missile!"  -- Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light