News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

News 2

Started by Ron Edwards, July 29, 2001, 02:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I hold in my hands the first book copy of Sorcerer to be touched by a human after the printers'.

There's a box of them here, to be taken along with a couple more up to GenCon. The rest of them have shipped to the warehouse.

Very soon, when that buy button goes up again at the Sorcerer site ...

Let slip the dogs of war.

Best,
Ron

Ron Edwards

I'm talking to myself now. Ah, the excitement.

The buy button is now up & running. I'm sure you all remember about the $10 pre-pay deal, if you bought the PDF previously.

Best,
Ron

Uncle Dark

I'm the guinea pig!

It seems I got  the honor of being the first online book sale.  Woo Hoo!  I'll let you all know how slow the US Paste Orifice  is in getting it to me.

Oh, and I'll also rave about it.  (Check's in the mail, right, Ron?)

Lon
Reality is what you can get away with.

Uncle Dark

I'm the guinea pig!

It seems I got  the honor of being the first online book sale.  Woo Hoo!  I'll let you all know how slow the US Paste Orifice  is in getting it to me.

Oh, and I'll also rave about it.  (Check's in the mail, right, Ron?)

Lon
Reality is what you can get away with.

Jason L Blair

Hey Ron,

What booth number do you have at GenCon?

3 days, baby!

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Dav

Okay, so I will begin the raving... (as I already have my copy of Sorcerer -- bwahahahaha!)

First, the layout:  By god.  That is pretty much my reaction to it.  Easy to read, well-positioned.  Broken in all the right places, with art and quotes spaced just so.  Seriously, for those of you wondering "how should this look on paper?", buy Sorcerer and use it as a bible.  

The text: Most of you know the game.  Added in are other goodies that may be unfamiliar, as well as essays and other fun stuff.  The entire thing reads as a how-to book on summoning your own nightmares, as well as showing that roleplaying is more than three yahoos with chips around mom's kitchen table.  Precise, literal, with just enough descriptive adjectives to make you understand that when you read the word "Intense" on the cover, they weren't just stroking your schlong.  The quotes are relevant, colorful, and give a great jumping point for your imagination when you read the prose.  

Art: The little boy walking away from the fun pile at the beginning of "Rules for other Stuff" takes the cake for me personally, though hive's art really makes you double-take.  All-in-all, there is more to each piece thanyou may think when you just glance... which is PERFECT for Sorcerer.  Kudos to the many artists and Ron for conceptual descriptions.

Dust Jacket: Gorgeous.  Period.  I won't hear otherwise.

And finally, do check the list of other companies (especially mine!) as well as online resources that are listed.  A full 90% of you are probably using most of it as them as standard stomping grounds already, but it is great to see that new blood will be infused into these sites once the unwashed masses get their claws on the keyboard.

And make sure you read the index.  Though, to my mind, the Table of Contents is more useful as a resource to the gamer.

$20 price tag.  Buy it before Ron realizes he has something that is worth so much more.

Dav

Ron Edwards

Many thanks to Dav, the first official book customer, and to Lon, the first on-line customer.

I think the strength of the system and the focus of the Premise are much, much better articulated and expressed in examples than in the PDF version.

I'm currently finishing up the rewrite of Sword, which is MUCH more extensive than the PDF. It is the rightful companion to Soul, now. Soul is mostly about back-story; Sword is mostly about "driving with Bangs."

Best,
Ron

Ron Edwards

Jason,

I haven't the faintest idea which booth number it is. Part of getting the entrepeneurial discount is taking whatever booth they give you.

It can't be any worse than GAMA, where I had to stand next to the service entrance in the back corner, forced to talk over the loud rumblings and clankings.

Best,
Ron

Misguided Games

Well, consider me your first GenCon sale, Ron.
And hey, I found you guys at GAMA .
Actually, I will come buy to pick up my copy at some point when I'm headed back to the hotel, btu you hold one for me, you hear?

Ian O'Rourke

Hahaha, order placed. First international customer?
Ian O'Rourke
www.fandomlife.net
The e-zine of SciFi media and Fandom Culture.

Ian O'Rourke

If you are re-writing the two supplements are they appearing as new PDF's or together as another HB or something?

Ian O'Rourke
www.fandomlife.net
The e-zine of SciFi media and Fandom Culture.

Mike Holmes

On 2001-07-30 19:58, Misguided Games wrote:
Well, consider me your first GenCon sale, Ron.

Hmmm... Well, I'll be the first one with a new copy in my hands at the Con I think...

Check for me at the booth. Jason, you must bring cash. :wink:

Mike Holmes
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ron Edwards

No fighting, no biting!

Answer to inquiries: I am currently debating the exact fate of the supplements, and to a great extent it depends on the sales of the main book over the next six weeks. I need to know what the initial spike looks like, if any, and consider things like a second printing of the main book.

Anyway, I will do one of the following:
- totally abandon the print option for the supplements, revise each PDF (mostly done), and continue with PDF sales of supplements.
- combine the two of them into one print supplement.
- put out two separate supplements, probably Sword in October and Soul in January.

This isn't a fan-base issue, I'm afraid, but a matter of money and the sales/rep of the main book. Basically, the more money I make sooner, the likelier it is that the plan moves from the first listed toward the last.

Best,
Ron

Jason L Blair

Check for me at the booth. Jason, you must bring cash.

Heeheehee... Uh, Mike? Can I bum $20? :wink:

And... just to end the debate here and now -- considering I'll be in the room before you, I'LL be the first GenCon purchase.

YEAH, BABY!

Ron, see ya in 2.

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

joshua neff

& just to settle it even more--I'll be in the room before anyone right after Ron, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to have the first Milwaukee GenCon copy! How d'ya like them apples, suckaheads?
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes