News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Just Downloaded octaNe

Started by WhistlinFiend, October 23, 2002, 12:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhistlinFiend

WOW!! I kept putting off getting this game...kung-fu monkeys? What the hell is that. I finally bit the bullet and bought it. Holy Schnikies! Jared, this is one of those rare instances where a game not only manages to meet the conventions of its genre, but seems to increase it well...sum of all parts, yadda yadda yadda.

I was supposed to be working on an autonomic system protocol for Linux, but there I was reading about Lost Vegas. Then it hit me...shouldn't you switch the soundtrack for this city? I mean Judas Priest is great when you're screaming through the desert, but for Lost Vegas I think you need Bobby Darin, Johnny Favourite, and H.B. Radke.

Then I had another idea...what if the Scopellis brought Steve and Edie back from the dead as zombies? Sure they need to eat brains but man can they still pack 'em in, and they can do 4 shows a night! The players are hot on the trail of mutilated bodies left across the Free States. Final scene? Showdown in Branson! Tourists, gambling, and the Living Dead...what more could you ask for?

-d
Never attribute to malice that which may be readily ascribed to stupidity

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: WhistlinFiendI was supposed to be working on an autonomic system protocol for Linux, but there I was reading about Lost Vegas. Then it hit me...shouldn't you switch the soundtrack for this city? I mean Judas Priest is great when you're screaming through the desert, but for Lost Vegas I think you need Bobby Darin, Johnny Favourite, and H.B. Radke.

Then I had another idea...what if the Scopellis brought Steve and Edie back from the dead as zombies? Sure they need to eat brains but man can they still pack 'em in, and they can do 4 shows a night! The players are hot on the trail of mutilated bodies left across the Free States. Final scene? Showdown in Branson! Tourists, gambling, and the Living Dead...what more could you ask for?

Well, the game is your playground...so go nuts. :) But I agree with ya on the Lost Vegas soundtrack -- in my own version of the game (inside my head), Vegas is more like the end of the quest...so you hear about it but you rarely get there. In another person's version, the Wasteland might be 10 times worse so the game takes place in (and people stick to) Vegas.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Ron Edwards

Hi Jared,

We played octaNe last weekend and we'll be continuing the game weekly (with this Sunday off, dammit).

Thought I'd mention that we listened to, if I remember correctly, Dred Zeppelin, which did Elvis songs in the Led Zep style and Led Zep songs in Elvis style; and some other, equally wrong group which did something similar (have to check).

After another session or two, I'll be reviewing the game.

Best,
Ron

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Ron EdwardsThought I'd mention that we listened to, if I remember correctly, Dred Zeppelin, which did Elvis songs in the Led Zep style and Led Zep songs in Elvis style; and some other, equally wrong group which did something similar (have to check).

Didn't they do Zep songs in a reggae style with Elvis singing? Been awhile since I heard those guys, I tell you what.

Looking forward to details and the review.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Paul Czege

Thought I'd mention that we listened to, if I remember correctly, Dred Zeppelin, which did Elvis songs in the Led Zep style and Led Zep songs in Elvis style; and some other, equally wrong group which did something similar (have to check).

Whoah! Did someone say "Elvis covers"?!?!

In my opinion, the must-have album for any fan of Elvis covers is Gravelands, by The King. He's an Irish postal worker who covers songs he thinks Elvis would have done if he'd continued to live, with a gimmick that the original performer of the song must also be, like Elvis, deceased. His cover of Whole Lotta Rosie is fantastic, as is his version of Tim Buckley's Song To the Siren.

And don't get the domestic version either. You need the Japanese import, which is substantially different. It includes a cover of an actual Elvis song, That's Alright Mama, which will convince you that he's probably the best Elvis impersonator you've ever heard, something you might not realize as easily from interpretive renditions of songs you've never heard Elvis sing. It has a version of INXS's Suicide Blonde, as well as the cover of Song To the Siren. And perhaps most importantly, it includes a version of Nirvana's Come As You Are, in Japanese! Trust me. When you hear an Irish Elvis impersonator singing a Nirvana song in Japanese, a great calm will descend upon your soul. You'll know then that something is very, very right in the world.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Paul CzegeTrust me. When you hear an Irish Elvis impersonator singing a Nirvana song in Japanese, a great calm will descend upon your soul. You'll know then that something is very, very right in the world.

Dude! That's the most disturbing thing I've ever heard you say, and I've played in your nasty RPG!

I guess I'm just cliche, but I'd just play Viva Los Vegas when the players arrive at Lost Wages, Nevada.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

WhistlinFiend

[quote="Mike Holmes

I guess I'm just cliche, but I'd just play Viva Los Vegas when the players arrive at Lost Wages, Nevada.
[/quote]

nah...Squirrel Nut Zippers' "Hell".

Jared, I get what you're saying about LV being the end of a quest...never crossed my mind, but that's cause I haven't seen Six String Samurai yet.

I can't say enough about how much this game rocks...I'm frantically scribbling notes about transforming an Old West Range War into a Branson v. Lost Vegas. Don't know why I'm getting Branson stuck in my head, but there it is...

-d
Never attribute to malice that which may be readily ascribed to stupidity