News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New things to play...

Started by jdrakeh, July 30, 2001, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdrakeh

I've noticed as of late that many game designers have taken a step away from using common genre tropes and mechanics to lure new players into the hobby.

Specifically, I've noticed a growing trend in allowing players to take on the role of decidedly non-standard things.

*I say "things" because I can't really lump a drinking establishment, a society, and a dinosaur into one category.*

Going back to Flying Buffalo's "Monsters! Monsters!", LUG's  "Aria", and the more recent innovations of certain Forge members, I have noticed that this is a trend that has never been fully realized.

I personally find that a game which allows you to assume the role of a something outside of the typical, to be a very fun game indeed.

I am suprised that such games have not had more commercial success. Despite all of the people who complain about RPGs not being "original" enough, market analysis seems to indicate that many people do not want to fork over the cash for anything but 'the same old stuff'.

Are the majority of gamers, despite those claims of wanting originality, simply not interested in the new and unusual?

If so, is it is a fruitless endeavor to focus on such things?

James Hargrove

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Jack Spencer Jr

Market research indicates that most gamers do not want anything beyond D&D.  That's because they are D&D player, so it's OK.

These newer ideas would appeal to people outside the hobby, but we have to find a way to get them to take a look because these people still see RPGs as the gamer geek "dee-un-dee" sort of stuff.

Jeez damned if you do...