News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Just a question...

Started by Mokkurkalfe, October 27, 2002, 02:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mokkurkalfe

Let's say I make a rule that says that any level 1 wound on an armoured person will be a bludgeoning wound. This will of course be narrated so that the weapon will not break the armour, but the hit will still hurt.
My reason for a rule like this is that it feels silly when "his axe lands with a heavy blow in your side and makes a scratch".
A more dramatic effect would be "you stumble sidewards as his axe slams into your armour but fail to break through".
This way, any blow powerful enough to through the armour will be go through some flesh as well.
I haven't thought it through, and perhaps it's unnecessary, since you can ignore most level 1 wounds anyway(just narrate it differently).
Now, does any of this make sense?
If plausible, should it apply to spears and other thrusting weapons?
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Jake Norwood

I played with this when writing TROS, but lieft it out for simplicity. I'd say that level 1 slashing wounds could very easily be changed to bludgeoning (at least in narration, if not also in effect). I would not do that for punture wounds, though.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant