News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I just ordered...

Started by Paul Czege, November 01, 2002, 11:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Czege

My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Ron Edwards

Hi Paul,

Nice! Here's the breakdown of the Kane stories, in chronological order of the adventures (not of the writing; I have to check on that).

1) Night Winds - a collection of short stories

2) Bloodstone - a novel

3) Dark Crusade - a novel

4) Death God's Shadow - a collection of three long short stories, or perhaps short novellas

5) Darkness Weaves - a novel

Looks like this collection puts the three novels together.

Also, Wagner wrote a few more stories much later after these were all published in book form, published mainly in small fanzine-horror; none of those impressed or interested me (although usually I like small fanzine-horror). I more-or-less think of them like I do the twenty-years-later Fafhrd and Mouser stories: pastiche written by the original author.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

Hey Ron,

Thanks for that breakdown. I researched the book a bit before deciding to purchase, not wanting text that had been editorially mishandled, and was unable to discover where the short stories fit into the Kane chronology. The only thing I turned up was a mention that the included version of Darkness Weaves was a "corrected text." There was no explanation, but since that phrase typically means author corrections never incorporated into the first edition, I went ahead and ordered the book. I did come across this bit at the http://members.cox.net/comingattractions/">Coming Attractions pulp news site though:

"It looks like there will be a companion volume to Karl Edward Wagner's Gods in Darkness featuring Kane. The second volume will contain all of the Kane short fiction, and will also have a Ken Kelly jacket."

So it's good to know the chronology of the stories. What do you know about Ken Kelly?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans