News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Just got the game, first impressions.

Started by Jason, November 03, 2002, 02:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I just got the game a few days ago, and got my small group to roll up characters last night. (my group= one friend, son,and wife).

I was confused myself at some of the stuff in the book, but I am slowly understanding it. It looks pretty good, but also seems that 2 tough opponents wearing armour will have a tough time hurting each other. One of my test fights last night ended in a draw, because no one could hurt each other. Although I was using the wrong stats for the Gol, I didn't understand the abbreviated stats at first, but now I do.

I like the game myself. I wanted to play a game that was more detailed rather than abstract. We currently play d&d, but I'm trying to switch to TROS.  So far my friend and son are into it, with my son thinking that no one will be able to hurt him (I'm sure that will change quickly). My wife thinks its silly still but she'll play along.

One quick question though, I don't understand stances.  The book says that stances are lost as soon as you move your weapon or move. If that's the case how long are they effectice? It seems like an aggressive stance would be good for only the first exchange in a round, and then the minus would dissappear.

Jason

Brian Leybourne

Hi Jason, always good to see another convert.

Two combatants wearing heavy armor? Sounds like a perfect time to roll out the fatigue rules. Any combatant in heavy armor loses 1 from his CP every number of combat rounds equal to his EN, this way the fitter heavily armored guy will beat the less fit heavily armored guy, which works out well.

I think for light armor it's 2xEN, but I don't have the book nearby to check. The heavy armor bit is right though.

Yes, that's right - stances only last the first exchange after they're used, then the benefit or penalty goes away. It's just a way if preparing for your first action, you hold your sword high or run in screaming, thus you get an attack bonus. Or, you hold your sword low and keep a careful eye on your opponent, so bonus on defense. Either way, once the blades are swinging, stance is meaningless unless/until you can force a break in the action (say through a full evasion).

Make sure you come back and tell us how your first full-blown TROS session goes.

Brian.

By the way - sounds like it's time to get a new wife ;-)
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Bob Richter

Quote from: Jason
I was confused myself at some of the stuff in the book, but I am slowly understanding it. It looks pretty good, but also seems that 2 tough opponents wearing armour will have a tough time hurting each other. One of my test fights last night ended in a draw, because no one could hurt each other. Although I was using the wrong stats for the Gol, I didn't understand the abbreviated stats at first, but now I do.

I like the game myself. I wanted to play a game that was more detailed rather than abstract. We currently play d&d, but I'm trying to switch to TROS.  So far my friend and son are into it, with my son thinking that no one will be able to hurt him (I'm sure that will change quickly). My wife thinks its silly still but she'll play along.

A guy in plate-mail IS pretty well nigh invulnerable, to most of the light to medium swords. That's why you use a true anti-armor weapon, like an Estoc, or a half-sworded longsword. Pole-Axes make a great impression, too. And no armor's yet been made that can stop a heavy cavalryman on a destrier from driving a lance clean through you!

Actually, armor is totally ineffective against grappling maneuvers, come to think of it, as is TO. :)
So ye wanna go earnin' yer keep with yer sword, and ye think that it can't be too hard...