News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

mmm...questions and concepts I suppose...

Started by Lucien Black, November 05, 2002, 02:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucien Black

First, I finally got my very own, personal copy of the Riddle of Steel. *bliss*  And I've already hinted that I'm willing to be the guinea pig for the sorcery rules to the only other two I know who have the game, one of which is planning a campaign for 1500 Germany (or thereabouts).  Although, he says that he's making all magic come from the devil so if he lets me be a sorcerer, I have to be evil, meaning I'll end up trying to hide my power and make it look like just wierd stuff or miracles.  For some reason I don't have problem with that..... *wicked grin*

But now a question or two....  which SA's can be spent on proficiencies and attributes?  I've seen it mentioned on these boards that one can only get 25 SA points at a time, yet there are six attributes.  I'm a little confused.

Second, um... any chance the website will be updated soon?  I know you're all having legal trouble with that Russian site, but it'd be really nice to see.... *hides red face for daring to seem like he's nagging in any way shape or form*

Now fun stuff:  An amulet (or whatever) to help sorcerers resist aging.... here's the concept:  Find a Weire and familiar pair, kill and Imprison the escaping spirits in the amulet... and somehow (I haven't figured this part out yet) find a way to make their unique bond give *you* the automatic success to resist aging that the familiar originally gave the Weire.  Find another pair, kill and Imprison so you get a second success, and repeat until you have enough Imprisoned souls to virtually gaurantee you won't age from even your most difficult spells....  Ethical?  Nope.  Tricky? Yup.  Lot's of such pairs out there? Don't think so.  Would the existence of such an item have all sorts of Sorcerers gunning for you so they could have the amulet?  Oh, yeah.  Lot's of people looking for revenge because you killed their friends?  Most assuredly.  And after you're dead, would it cause all sorts of problems down through the ages as various Sorcerers sought it out and caused much havoc and ruin as a result?  Better believe it.

In other words, what's not to like?? (hehehehehe)  But how to make it work?  Trapping Spirits is one thing, but then making the energy somehow work in a benificial manner for you is another.  Thoughts?  The Summoning vagary maybe?

As for the Sword of Truth.... another thread.

Lucien

Jake Norwood

QuoteBut now a question or two.... which SA's can be spent on proficiencies and attributes? I've seen it mentioned on these boards that one can only get 25 SA points at a time, yet there are six attributes. I'm a little confused.

There are 6 available types of SA, but each character gets only 5, thus the 25 SA limit. Read your rules, eh!

QuoteSecond, um... any chance the website will be updated soon? I know you're all having legal trouble with that Russian site, but it'd be really nice to see.... *hides red face for daring to seem like he's nagging in any way shape or form*

The entire site is being redone. It should be up pretty soon. That's why we haven't updated anything in a little while--it'll all be done in a big bang coming up soon. How soon? Not soon enough...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Ashren Va'Hale

actually that whole idea for the medallion to resist aging would be a great story hook for any pcs that have familiars or friends who had familiars.......that could make a great story.......
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Lucien Black

Ashren-
Yea, that's pretty much what I was thinking; if I run a campaign of my own any time soon, then I might see about including that medallion as a story hook, perhaps as part of a quest (either to find and use one that was made centuries ago, or to stop another from doing so, or to find out why several sorcerers and their familiars have disappeared lately, or.... well, so many possibilities, depending on the PC's I have).  I also had the idea of using an identical looking medallion laying near the real one, except this one causes automatic aging with no chance of resistance every time you cast a spell by Summoning uncontrolled magic to rip through you each time you cast a spell, burning permanently into your flesh the first time you (unwittingly) use it.... and since the only way of knowing which is which is to put it on and cast a spell.....

Ok, so I stole the idea from "Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail."  Sue me.  *grins*  You won't get much.

Jake-
QuoteRead your rules, eh!

Oops, I see it now; I was looking in the wrong section.  Sorry!  And thanks.

Lucien

Lyrax

Cheap Plastic Imitation Amulet of Yendor...
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!