News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sinai [Paladin]

Started by Khaibit, October 03, 2002, 02:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khaibit

You still remember the dream.  Really, how can you forget; it was the day your life changed.  You were in the middle of something intense: sex, childbirth, madness, depression, the stories are all different, the result the same.  You were on a mountain, overlooking a valley of shadow, you had been climbing for seemingly days and nights without end.  Finally you had reached the summit.  As you approached the summit, the mountain was cloaked in the eternal blackness, and illumined with holy fire.  The mountain rumbled with Presence, and horns called out the glory of the Almighty.

As you entered the cloud of Oblivion, the Light was comforting.  A voice boomed "Come, my child, I have chosen you for Glory."  You had no choice but to go further, having already come this far.  You felt naked before the Lord, but felt no shame.  In the Presence there was no shame.  "Once, you were my children.  Now you have gone from Me.  It is as I had intended," the voice echoed over the Mountain and into the valley below.  "However, there is yet work to do.  There is something in Creation that is unknown to you.  Come, I welcome you to See."

In the beginning there was Chaos.  Chaos was tamed, and it was good.  Order arose from Chaos, and became stable.  Creation arose from the interplay of both Order and Chaos, and it was good.  But, not all were content with this; the Serpent saw the Creator and was jealous.  "I am Order, yet I have gained nothing."  The Serpent went to the Creator and demanded that the power of creation be shared.  There was silence in the cosmos as the Creator took the Serpent and spoke to him the words of Creation.  The Serpent was not content with merely the words, he wanted the power, and rose up against the Creator and smote him.  With his dying breath the Creator cast the Serpent from the Mountain and the Serpent fell.

As the final images fade from your mind, you see a nebula in space, a rip in the fabric of space where the Serpent fell, and you knew it to be True.  With the thought of the Eternal fresh in you mind, you awoke to consciousness again.

In your mind, was a set of laws handed to you and the image of a flaming blade.  You knew your mission was to confront the Evil of the galaxy and you knew how to end it.  But you had a life to continue, at least until you could make the blade, and go to the Mountain in the shade-ridden Valley.  But the journey would be fraught with peril, and the hounds of the Cast-down Serpent would torment you.  Bound only with the Covenant and given only the Holy Light you made your way to the Mountain, on a far world, across the sea of stars and blackness.  You stood before God unashamed and forged the blade from your soul.  The Voice boomed one final time.  "I have set before you the way of Life and the way of Death.  Choose Life, and bring that which is Death to account for its ways."

This is a proposed game I'm thinking about running, using the Paladin rules.  Let me know what y'all think

Corey
And even though it all I went wrong/
I'll stand before the Lord of Song/
With nothing on my lips but Hallelujah
    -Leonard Cohen "Hallelujah"

Mike Holmes

So, it's ancient warriors of God against agents of the devil? Pretty straightforward. Should work fine.

Jake Norwood is working on a somewhat similar setting involving angels. I could see your setting as a subset of his. Might work well together.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Khaibit

I was thinking of doing it in a space opera setting, but couldn't figure a way to throw it into the story without breaking the narrative.

Although now that I think about it, maybe a wierd fantasy, i.e. Clark Ashton Smith or Dunsany, would work better.  Still capture the large scope, but not limit myself to the genre confines of sci-fantasy
And even though it all I went wrong/
I'll stand before the Lord of Song/
With nothing on my lips but Hallelujah
    -Leonard Cohen "Hallelujah"

Ron Edwards

Wow ... I really want to see this in action.

Best,
Ron

b_bankhead

Over on the Scattershot game forum there is a discussion, of the High Powered Science Mysticism genre embodied by characters like Galactus,Silver Surfer, Eternity and similar types, your own mystic space opera concept is similar enough to warrant a look
Got Art? Need Art? Check out
SENTINEL GRAPHICS  

Jared A. Sorensen

Choose Life.

Hahaha...I keep thinking of Paladin: Trainspotting now. :) No prizes for guessing what your "arms" would be.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com