News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Is S out of balance with G/N?

Started by JMendes, November 06, 2002, 01:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talysman

Quote from: Mike Holmes
Quote from: JMendesI still can't quite understand color exploration. But definitely all the others.
Nobody does, really, as no game centers around this sort of exploration. Color is, or has been, the red-headed stepshild of the bunch, and maybe for good reason. I mean it's color, after all.

as an aside, I had some problems with understanding Exploration of Color, too. although later on, I began thinking of my Court of 9 Chambers game as an Exploration of Color and System. this is facilitated, I believe, by the game system being built on the numerology and mysticism that are the central form of Color in the game.
John Laviolette
(aka Talysman the Ur-Beatle)
rpg projects: http://www.globalsurrealism.com/rpg

MK Snyder

MJ,

just a funny image: the Gods handing out Frequent Flier Miles.

JMendes

Hey, folks, :)

Some interesting tips popped up in this thread, including MJ's suggestion for an 'opportunity knocks' kind of system, which I liked.

I would also like to ponder on the following two actually tightly related points.

Quote from: Emily Careallow the player in question to ask questions about world/char/etc. that need to be answered by the gm

Quote from: RobMuadibprovide a means for the character to run "Montage" scenes

What exactly is it that might limit a player's ability to explore? One answer might be screen time. So, how about this?

Good simulationist play is rewarded with STPs (screen-time points). Expending screen time points then allows players to either ask specific questions or, for a higher cost, run through a scene exploring some particular aspect of system, character, etc...

This is actually very close to MJ's suggestion, since these scenes to be explored can very well equate to bigger opportunities for the characters themselves.

I have no idea whether this would work or not, but it makes sense. Thoughts?

Cheers,

J.
João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer