News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dawn of the Magi (new and kinda long)

Started by Sylus Thane, October 31, 2002, 01:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Martin

Quote from: Sylus ThaneThis one was probably poorly described. MECh has to do with a persons creative abilities. I've known lot's of intelligent people but they didn't have a creative bone in their body, and vice versa. It really aplies to the persons ability to create. I've thought of changing it but it's another one of those I wasn't able to find a better one.

How about Creativity? It seems to fit your description.
Andrew Martin

Sylus Thane

QuoteHow about Creativity? It seems to fit your description.

Your right, I should of thought of that one. We can consider this one changed. Thanks for the input. :)

Jason

Christoffer Lernö

I've been meaning to come back to this one.

Quote from: Sylus ThaneI'd like to think of it being being varying levels of adventure. There will be multiple options for characters, either searching for abandoned ancient cities, or building up their own territories. Or they can play with the lure and seduction of magic. There should be any number of things people should be able to do.
I'm a little afraid that it might be problematic to make a really good game if it's supposed to support that many levels of play unless you make it extremely scaleable. The only game I can only think of that might be able to pull off he scaling well would be Hero Wars.

What I'm thinking about is this situation:
Adventure A: Politics in the High Court of Sabraxas
Adventure B: Discovering the ruins of ancient Dalusia

In adventure A it would be of interest what social contacts the characters have, their skill at oratory, acting, politics, their riches and so on. Usable mechanics would be something which facilitates political intrigues and so on. You might have stats for how good social reputation you have, maybe more than one.

In adventure B we're more interested in if they manage to survive fighting the horrors in the ancient ruins and if they can decipher the runes of opening on the tomb of Lord Regul. Usable mechanics would include a combat system.

Now you can try for completeness, but that's gonna be an awful lot of rules and they probably won't be as good as more focused ones. Aside from completeness in system you'll try to do the same to the setting.

Chances are that you'll run into conflicting interests more than once. I feel that maybe it would better if you outright decided "hey the most important thing is Politics!" (or dungeon crawling or whatever) and make really really good rules for that and accept that dungeon crawls will not be quite as detailed.

I'm only telling you this because I similarly misunderstood the question when I came here to the forge. I was thinking people wanted to hear how nice and varied it is, but now I have the feeling they would rather have had me said: "This is for dungeon crawling" (my game is for Monster Hunting incidentally). It might help knowing what you should put the most effort in making right.
formerly Pale Fire
[Yggdrasil (in progress) | The Evil (v1.2)]
Ranked #1005 in meaningful posts
Indie-Netgaming member