News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sharp pointy things

Started by Wulf, November 22, 2002, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

I've just noticed something about the weapon rules in Donjon.

Sharp weapons get +1 die to damage. Fair enough. This makes them more expensive. Fair enough. However, unless I'm misinterpreting the rules, it also seems to mean they require a higher Virility to use.

Is this right?

Wulf

Clinton R. Nixon

Wulf,

According to the rules as written, yes. According to common sense, no.

I hope that helps.

(Ok - seriously, I just overlooked that when writing the rules. It's a decent point [hah!], and I'd just make a decision for your group and stick with it.)
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Wulf

Quote from: Clinton R. NixonWulf,

According to the rules as written, yes. According to common sense, no.

Mixing game rules and common sense usually results in an argument :-)

However, that's fine, so long as I've not actually overlooked something.

Wulf

jdagna

I had made the assumption that "sharp" was like a limited sort of magic weapon and therefore the bonus didn't count against Virility.  It would be the difference between a normal sword mass produced by some blacksmith and the top-quality ones done by the king's armorer.

Otherwise, how do you have a knife that isn't sharp?  It wouldn't even be Worth 1...
Justin Dagna
President, Technicraft Design.  Creator, Pax Draconis
http://www.paxdraconis.com

Wulf

Quote from: jdagnaI had made the assumption that "sharp" was like a limited sort of magic weapon and therefore the bonus didn't count against Virility.

Well, I thought so too, and was quite happy... then a friend actually read the rules and ruined it! Check the examples on p22, where 'broadsword' appears on the table with DR 2, but in the example as DR3, needing Virility 3.

Wulf