News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Samurai Surfin'

Started by Daredevil, November 25, 2002, 06:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daredevil

No, that's not the actual title of what I'm working on, but it sure sounds catchy. I've currently been working on this game design and I'm fairly stuck between a myriad of alternative game mechanics. So, I thought I'd ask for input and thoughts from you guys to get me moving along.

The game is about wandering warriors, people who are on the road seeking both to perfect their technique and to achieve enlightenment. They're sword-saints and spiritual warriors. To draw a comparison to another game, they're Riddle-seekers. I may work on a specific setting later on, but for now I'm working without one attached, so the game could be played in a variety of different settings, from feudal Japan to any fantasy world with a similar phenomenom.

The game is heavily steeped in a few different kind of philosophies. The oriental concept of the travelling warrior is one, with all it's assorted baggage, but there is a healthy dose of relevance (and allegory) to modern Traveller (as in back-packing through the tropic) and surfer culture. This is the basis from which I'm working from.

The premise unfolds primarily around the contrast between the detachement/involvement of these characters in the affairs of the world. It's a big, very relevant premise in my opinion. The characters are of the world, with some lingering passions and ties binding them to mundane society, but in seeking the truth they must move beyond their beginnings. Yet, the characters are not intended to be monks that merely disappear into the mountains, but to be wandering heroes walking on that thin edge of separation. Their dilemma is that of a mystic; to be at the same forever separate, but also forever deeply intertwined with the world around them. They will find enlightenment not in abandoning the world, nor in dwelling constricted within it, but by facing it properly and overcoming what adversity it may throw at you.

There's more to it, but this is the key point and what I'm having difficulty pinning down. The game revolves around the characters arriving in different locations, getting embroiled in a variety of situations that will challenge them according to the premise and potentially offer them clues to what they seek. All this before they move on, either having found some of the answers they were looking for or having become even more troubled. What I need are mechanics that get them embroiled, that immediately throw the characters into a situation which needs to be addressed. Sort of like Kickers, or like Spiritual Attributes, which provide firm clues on the direction the narrative is going in.

I've been toying most with having a series of negative traits (the reward mechanics would be tied to these -- ie. the character must confront his darker side to make progress) for the characters, representing their unenlightened passions, which would provide entry into the meat of the matter, but alas, I'm stuck and in need of a few fresh thoughts.

Anyway, I'm looking for fresh thoughts and comments. I've researched older threads and several games already (and could point out several relevant ones myself), so hopefully we'll get less pointers to earlier discussions and more new thought. Thanks in advance.

- Joachim Buchert -

Mark D. Eddy

I hate to ask this, but have you looked at some of the earlier stuff on the (still in progress) Forge-built monks game 'Enlightenment'? I have no clue how to do the nifty link thing, but the title of the original thread is "Let's Make a Game!"

Some of the thrashing around we did there may shake some ideas loose for you.
Mark Eddy
Chemist, Monotheist, History buff

"The valiant man may survive
if wyrd is not against him."

Bob McNamee

Paladin -type ideas might be cool too look at for ideas too...
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

talysman

I agree with both Mark and Bob. the game definitely looks like a different "take" on the same issues as Enlightenment, but more action-oriented, like Paladin. you might be able to get some good ideas out of that.

speaking of which, I really should get caught up on Enlightenment. we're basically ready for a new thread.
John Laviolette
(aka Talysman the Ur-Beatle)
rpg projects: http://www.globalsurrealism.com/rpg

Daredevil

Well, both Enlightenment and Paladin, as the threads concerning them, are familiar and also something I've already looked into as stated in my first post. Didn't I say something along those lines? Well, maybe I should have named names.

Thanks for extending the hand, though.

Mark D. Eddy

Well, then. You've looked at Enlightenment and not been enlightened. That's good to know.

So, here's the crux of the issue:
Quote from: DaredevilThere's more to it, but this is the key point and what I'm having difficulty pinning down. The game revolves around the characters arriving in different locations, getting embroiled in a variety of situations that will challenge them according to the premise and potentially offer them clues to what they seek. All this before they move on, either having found some of the answers they were looking for or having become even more troubled. What I need are mechanics that get them embroiled, that immediately throw the characters into a situation which needs to be addressed. Sort of like Kickers, or like Spiritual Attributes, which provide firm clues on the direction the narrative is going in.

You mention the possibility of some sort of negative traits that would force action, and resolution of those traits would be a goal of the game.

I've got a separate thought -- this sounds more like scenario building than game building. Why not put this into the hands of the game master, what ever you wind up calling him, her, or it?

For instance, with most of the wandering bushi of legend, the simple fact that they've got two swords on their hip means that they will be looked to by the 'simple folk' for aid (Heck, see _Usagi_Yojimbo_ for some of this). This goes into the mechanics as 'background information,' not as 'mechanics.'
Mark Eddy
Chemist, Monotheist, History buff

"The valiant man may survive
if wyrd is not against him."