News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Really small hardcovers

Started by quozl, November 22, 2002, 09:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quozl

Let's say I want to publish a book about the size of the Baron Munchausen book (24 pages) but I want it to have a spine so people can actually find it on the shelf.  

Can I make a hardcover book with only 24 pages (standard size)?  
Are there other options?
How would approximate prices break down for a run of 1000 books?
--- Jonathan N.
Currently playtesting Frankenstein's Monsters

Jared A. Sorensen

How about a softcover "fatbook" format (like they have at the cash registers at Borders and B&N)?

Either that or do an anthology of games. A collection of four 24-page games is...is...

Fuck. Mike? Help?

Oh wait...got it. 96 pages.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

wyrdlyng

Wizards put out a series of hardcover comics set in the Forgotten Realms. I don't recall any issue being more than 24 pages or so.
Alex Hunter
Email | Web

quozl

Quote from: wyrdlyngWizards put out a series of hardcover comics set in the Forgotten Realms. I don't recall any issue being more than 24 pages or so.

Interesting, although a Google search shows them at being 52 pages. http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels/fsoa1.htm  

Anyone know how much they sold for?
[/url]
--- Jonathan N.
Currently playtesting Frankenstein's Monsters

wyrdlyng

Quote from: quozlInteresting, although a Google search shows them at being 52 pages.

Wow, chalk it up to conveying so little story in so much space.

On actual count there were 41 pages of story, 7 pages of character stats (bare minimum stats), 2 pages of Intro/Credits and 2 pages of sketchbook. It was a 6 book series. The first one sold for $4.95. I never bothered picking any of the rest up so I have no info on them.

The art style was the same as the "manga" cartoons in the White Wolf products which were coming out at about the same time.

The book's dimensions are 6.5" wide by 10" tall and 1/4" thick.
Alex Hunter
Email | Web

Jonathan Walton

Just wanted to mention that SJGames is doing something very similar with their tiny hardbacks of Munchkin d20.  That's probably a huge print run, though, which is what might make it feasible.

I was wondering about those completely-hardback books that they make for small children, where each page is a sheet of heavy-duty cardboard.  Wouldn't that be cool for a simple game?