News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Magic of Sacrifice

Started by Ben Lehman, November 30, 2002, 08:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lehman

Hey all--
 New to the fora and the game.  Bought it a couple of weeks ago, am generally impressed, and am in the process of changing bits and pieces so I can use it for my own fantasy world.

One of the big elements of my fantasy world is the nature of magic -- magic comes at a price, though that price varies in form and nature.  To this end, I need to design a magic system where sacrifice (of any sort) is necessary or nearly necessary to the casting of spells.

I have already worked out a list of 17 or so Powers, each of which takes different but overlapping sacrifices and grants different but overlapping effects.  I'm just trying to figure out how to work it in to Riddle of Steel, and was wondering if anyone here had any ideas or had done something similar.  Any ideas?

yrs--
--BL

Lance D. Allen

Well, you'd have to give more details on the 17 "powers" you've come up with, but it seems to me already that they're basically like the vagaries. Why not just use the vagaries pretty much as they exist, and assign the sacrifices to them? Then just kick the aging out the window (as the cost of magic is covered in your system by the sacrifices)and use all successes to apply to the effect of the spell. I imagine that spells will be a bit more effective that way (with the sorcerer not needing to save any of their dice to resist aging) but that makes sense, as they're going through additional efforts to make the magic work.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls