News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Tribe 8 to The Riddle of Steel

Started by Enoch, December 04, 2002, 12:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enoch

Well I just finished converting Silhoutte (will never be able to spell it right) to The Riddle of Steel rules.  It wasn't all that difficult.

If anyone is interested check out
http://www.msu.edu/user/smith465/tribe8.html

There are a few weapon conversions, though they may or may not be realistic.  I made a half-assed conversion of firearms.  There's also a crazy conversion of a chainsaw.

Anyway, any suggestions are welcome.

-Joshua
omnia vincit amor
The Enclave

Shadeling

Perhaps listing how many shots you can make with a gun before needing to prep. Obviously guns like Revolvers, Semi-Autos, and Autos would be able to shoot more than once ever 4 seconds.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Lyrax

Rifle looks too easy to use.  Unless it's laser-sighted and electronically aided, the TN will be much higher than 4.  I would probably set its TN at 7 (rifles are actually difficult to use), but keep its high range of 50 yards per +1 ATN, or maybe even increase it (definitely increase it for sniper rifles).  The thing that makes rifles good is their accuracy over long distance, not how they perform up close.  This is, of course, assuming that these are not assault rifles we're talking about.

The SMG, OTOH, looks precisely the opposite.  I would (personally, mind you) lower the ATN to 4 (SMGs are ridiculously easy to aim) and decrease the effective range to 5 or 10 yards per +1 to ATN.  Some testing is in order.

The shotgun looks pretty good, although I would make the slug ATN higher, but lower the effective range on the shot.  After so many yards, it's impossible to hurt anyone with shot.

Other than these remarks, I have nothing to add.  Looks pretty good.
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Mike Holmes

I sorta agree with Lance. What he's refering to is what GURPS would call snapshot fire. In that case, a smaller firearm is the better choice. But as soon as you're talking aimed fire, it all reverses. SMGs are about the most innacurate aimed weapon available, although handguns are pretty bad as well. Also depends a lot on what sort of bracing is available.

IOW, there are a lot of considerations here.

But Lance is definitely correct that the main advantage of a longer firearm is range.

Autofire is always difficult to handle well. Mostly because people misunderstand the use of full automatic fire. Suffice it to say that even a revolver can be emptied in four seconds if one want's to just fire off unaimed rounds. As can any other modern firearm I can think of (older actions like bolt, and lever excepted). So what one needs to do is to consider the different firing methods as techniques, I think.

This is cool because it puts the technique back into missile fire. So, with full auto weapons, you can get "Suppression Fire" and "Burst Fire" methods (possibly even "wild fire"; just unloading on an enemy), each with their own rules for how the attack is modified.

You should definitely have different sizes of chainsaw; there's quite a range available. ;-)

I think that TROS will be an excellent improvement over silhouette for Tribe 8.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Enoch

Thanks for the input.  I'll probably change them.  I know next to nothing about guns besides some basics I've picked up here and there.

-Joshua
omnia vincit amor
The Enclave