News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

An idea for the forum

Started by Lance D. Allen, December 09, 2002, 02:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance D. Allen

I just had a thought that might reduce the amount of redundant discussions, and threads shot down when someone points out that it's been discussed before.

Jake, you could have someone go back (or do it yourself, but then what's the purpose of having minions/obsessive fanboys?) and find all of the thread which either have important exposition, or in-depth and well thought out discussions of ideas, and get them all listed in a Sticky thread. Lock it so that only moderators can add to it, and whenever a thread comes up which adds to the wealth of knowledge and ideas for TRoS comes up, it can be added. It would allow newcomers to find all of the pertinent arguments and discussions without having to dig through mounds of back-postings. I mean, how many times has a discussion started: "I don't know if this question has already been answered, but..."?

Whaddya think?
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Brian Leybourne

I think sticky threads suck, because you would end up with the entire first page of the forum (or more) as stickys, meaning that everyone has to scroll down another whole page to get to the curent discussions :-)

But in theory it's not a bad idea, I just think stickies are not the way to go.

Instead, you could have a single sticky, with a bunch of links in it to the threads in question. You know, "Click here for a discussion on rapiers. Click here for a discussion on blowing up the world with movement 3. Click here for..."

Etc.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Mike Holmes

I think that's what he meant, Brian.

In fact, people coould reply to the single FAQ sticky, and post links as replies to what they saw as Frequently Asked Questions. Used carefully, it would be a cool tool. Basically, the idea is that people would read through that first, and link to answers to their questions. Then if they didn't find the answer there, they could post to the forum.

IOW, it would be a way to create a dynamic, public, FAQ. Neat.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jake Norwood

Great, so who's doing it?

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant