News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dust Devils and Trollbabe at Indie Games Night

Started by Matt Wilson, December 17, 2002, 05:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Wilson

Last night so many people turned out for Indie Games Night that we had to split into two still-very-large groups. Clinton ran Trollbabe with 4 players, and Alan ran Dust Devils with 5(!) players. In fact, still one more player showed up late, and unfortunately the groups were both overfull at that point. Clinton and Alan were pretty good sports about taking on more players than they'd initially intended. Now that the game night is gaining momentum, I think a few of us will keep ideas up our sleeves so there's heaps o' choices.

I was in the DD game, and it was my first taste of it. Alan ran the scenario included in the book.

A few impressions. The ability to fold a hand is I think the key tocapturing the feel of a conflict, especially gunslingin'. I love it that I have one last chance to think - "Is this gonna be good enough?" all the while maintaining that steely gaze. The narration control is kind of cool, too. In all I think the general opinion was that the handling time was a little high, but not unpleasantly so. It took some time to adapt to the concept of complete narrative power, and I'd guess with the size of the group we could have used another whole session to get the hang of all the rules.

With 5 players, I think we were spread a little thin. As another player pointed out, it's a bit challenging to have 5 main characters with powerful redemption stories in any game, let alone a short-shot. It prompted some post-game discussion about premise and its influence on group size and makeup.

Side note: I was quite covetous of the printed versions folks at the table had. My pdf is modest in comparison. Luckily my own devil was at 1.

Jeffrey Miller

Slacker!  *I* was gonna write the follow-up report! ;)

Quote from: itsmrwilsonNow that the game night is gaining momentum, I think a few of us will keep ideas up our sleeves so there's heaps o' choices.

If Clinton doesn't object, I'm going to run Donjon.

QuoteA few impressions. The ability to fold a hand is I think the key tocapturing the feel of a conflict, especially gunslingin'. I love it that I have one last chance to think - "Is this gonna be good enough?" all the while maintaining that steely gaze.

Did anyone actually fold?  I don't recall.

QuoteThe narration control is kind of cool, too.

I felt like the group at the table was evenly split as to who "got it" and who didn't, which left an odd feeling in my mouth.  I'm coming to the feeling that when playing games that have variable/offbeat takes on narrative control, its in everyone's interest to ensure everyone at the table is on the same page.

QuoteIn all I think the general opinion was that the handling time was a little high, but not unpleasantly so.

I've seen this complaint elsewhere, but I disagree with it in general.  DD isn't really a game like GURPS or d20, where the mechanics of combat and resolution play such a hefty role.  I think a group and GM confident and versed in the mechanic and premise of the shifting authorial voice can handle it quickly.. in fact, I even think that there could be an extended mechanic for increasing the tension of "important" conflicts (a la my "Variable Mileage" mechanic we've discussed off-line)

QuoteWith 5 players, I think we were spread a little thin. As another player pointed out, it's a bit challenging to have 5 main characters with powerful redemption stories in any game, let alone a short-shot.

My #1 "complaint" about the game is the limiting nature of focusing solely on redemption stories.  One of the prime examples given in the text is of the Clint Eastwood movie Unforgiven, which is quite good for examining a character such as Clint plays.  However, the game as laid out (ITO its premise) doesn't offer support for characters such as Ned, (played by Morgan Freeman) who isn't haunted by a devil so much as driven by his love for his wife against his love for his friend.. a devil of sorts, but certainly not a redemption story.  Keep the devil mechanic but shift the emphasis from "Inner Demon" to allow for "Drive" and its perfect for just about any N western game I'd ever care to run.

QuoteSide note: I was quite covetous of the printed versions folks at the table had. My pdf is modest in comparison. Luckily my own devil was at 1.

Ditto, and I had mine printed out, unlike some people at the table.. ;)

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

I'm confident that Dust Devils can be played in a much lighter vein. I don't mean entirely farcical, which I'm afraid one or two demo games devolved into, but rather ... well, just light and zippy. My best example is the movie Maverick, which when all is said and done is a comedy, but all three main characters are definitely Devil-ridden.

Best,
Ron

Jeffrey Miller

Quote from: Ron EdwardsI'm confident that Dust Devils can be played in a much lighter vein. I don't mean entirely farcical, which I'm afraid one or two demo games devolved into, but rather ... well, just light and zippy. My best example is the movie Maverick, which when all is said and done is a comedy, but all three main characters are definitely Devil-ridden.

Well, I certainly didn't mean to imply it couldn't, however the text in the game and the general tone of the fluff-ish parts only refers to "devils" and themes of redemption instead of looking at other motivations for the hard choices that PCs should make. Its a game about facing your demons, sure, but it can be more than that.