Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 10:19:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Get Emotional!  (Read 3597 times)
Le Joueur

« on: August 10, 2001, 01:09:00 PM »

This is what I understand.

Context

I think role-playing gaming is thinking within the context of the narrative; nothing more is necessary.  Anything that fails to have that does not appear to be gaming.  While some things outside of gaming elicit contextual thinking, nothing that is<or even a role-playing game<behind the bar<ought to be back there, they are working within the context of the bar and the fight and the role-playing game<for<as<do<between<simultaneously.  Since I do not believe one can make a priority out of self and the world at the same time, I fail to see how they can be clearly lumped together, one must take a back seat.  This is not to confuse a Simulationist world with Simulationistic consistency, though.  Most losses in consistency result in failed emotional payoffs.

From what I have read, I believe immersive players do not require as much Simulationist detail in the game, so long as it still creates a venue for their character in the absence.  I do

Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »

Fang,

I think the emotional investment you describe is related, or even identical, to what I called "imaginative commitment" earlier, when discussing Exploration.

To review: Exploration is the starting point or act for role-playing. GNS represents applications/foci/goals for the act.

This is not to undercut or refute any of your post, but rather to agree with and reinforce it.

Best,
Ron
Le Joueur

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »

Ron Edwards wrote:
I think the emotional investment you describe is related, or even identical, to what I called "imaginative commitment" earlier, when discussing Exploration.
This is not to undercut or refute any of your post, but rather to agree with and reinforce it.

Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: