News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerer: A Catholic Roleplaying Game

Started by Christopher Kubasik, December 16, 2002, 05:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hi Clay,

That's right. Mysticism, spirituality, and religiosity (the technical term) are all defined, at base, as direct perception of or contact with the thematic point of existence. Beyond a mild or social version of this (e.g. praying, going to church), the experience is associated with physical injury and sacrifice, dysfunctional behavior patterns, and ostracism by most people.

I think it's interesting that in Christopher's game, as one gains Humanity, one may well become much more messed-up in terms that most people would recognize as normal or healthy.

I also think the angel rules shouldn't be written off. Forget the helpful and reassuring heavenly agents of cinema - and forget as well all the pop-culture fascination with very dubious pseudo-biblical sources. I'm talking about scary fucking visitations, hallucinations, and experiences that, in game terms, manifest as Desire, Need, Binding, and Price - that is, using the first option in the angel rules, the demon one.

Best,
Ron

Christopher Kubasik

Hi guys.

Ron, please keep in mind that while St. Theresa had her share of wacky moments (she went into state of transcendent awareness while cooking and had to be dragged out of the kitchen while she was still gripping the frying pan), she also wrote a great deal of the joy of each of her days.

Religous blood gets more press -- but anyone who's run the A.A. program successfully will tell you that getting God into your life often means you simply know how to life a great day -- with less stress than folks who know they're too smart to fall for all that God stuff.  (So I've been told, and so the success rate of A.A. seems to bear out.)

So, while I agree that the higher humanity might suggest all sorts of tabloid worthy behavior, another path might simply be the man who can distinguish between, say, his needs and his wants, and thus able to tell his demon to go fly a kite.  No fireworks.  But it might be a cool moment.

Take care,

Christopher
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield

Ron Edwards

Hi Christopher,

Indeed - and it seems to me that the range, qualities, and value of the different takes we're describing are exactly what one plays this version of Sorcerer for. In other words, raising the issues you've raised, applying the rules that get applied, and conceiving Humanity as you've done, should all result in working out the responses through play itself. Prep ought to stop, I think, right about this point - when multiple personal takes begin to arise.

Best,
Ron

Christopher Kubasik

Hi Ron,

I don't know if you've ever posted the notion contained in that last sentence before -- but I think that's a great axiom for all Sorcerer prep.

Take care,
Christopher
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield

clehrich

Um, sorry to start an old thread --- please split off if that's what's called for.  I was just wondering about the specifically Catholic side of all this.

1. Confession: does confessing one's sins and receiving absolution nudge one's Humanity up?  And just exactly what could one confess, if one is a Sorcerer who uses demons?

2. Demons and Motivation: one classic take on this is that demons have a somewhat screwed-up sense of the purpose of Free Will.  The idea is that they tempt us to misbehave, following up on all our most sinful natural tendencies.  Why?  Because they're evil, and want us to go to Hell.  Remember, unless you buy Origen's heretical conception, the demons are going to stay there forever.  The Second Coming isn't going to save the demons.

3. Miracles and Angels:  I like the idea that this stuff just doesn't really happen much.  It happens to people who are so wonderfully good that they're unlikely to come up in play, frankly.  I mean, if you deal with demons (except perhaps as an exorcist), are you really likely EVER to recognize the direct guidance of God?

4. Loving God's Will:  Someone remarked that this seemed rather Islamic.  That's true, but it fits just about any Judeo-Christian theology I know of.  It's all a question of where the emphasis lies.  Catholic theology often harps on the idea that God is always talking to us, always telling us how to do His will, but that we are stubborn and sinful and whatnot, and so we don't listen.  In fact, we often don't recognize divine guidance for what it is, and just ascribe it to other sorts of causes --- or ignore it entirely.

5. Zero Humanity:  Is this equivalent to Mortal Sin, and can it be absolved?  If you slide that far, does the Host choke you, or is that too literalist?
Chris Lehrich

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Sure, let's keep it going. Religion seems to be all the rage at the Forge lately.

My understanding is that Christopher really isn't all that pumped about Catholicism per se, in terms of the game idea - it mainly was included as a bit of a joke-version of the "an intense role-playing game" line on the Sorcerer cover.

(Side note: I freely confess that I wrote that, and still read it, with an heavily-80s California Bill & Ted accent. If you read it, and your hair doesn't frizz a little and your hands don't tremble, you're not doing it right.)

If we discuss the Holy See, though, then I suggest distinguishing between casual Catholicism, heavy superstitious Catholicism, and intellectual Catholicism. Perhaps the corresponding stereotypes would be (1) the guy on the street who goes to Mass on holidays and would get married in the Church without thinking twice, but doesn't bother his head a bit about birth control or pope elections; the (2) hard-core saint-worshipping person who concerns himself about just how long he'll be in Purgatory and really thinks he's "washed clean" after confession; and (3) the Jesuit or Vincentian who cares very greatly about the relationship of the Church, society, and ethical/policy choices, and especially cares that whatever ensues makes perfect sense.

Speaking personally rather than analytically, I think #2 is the least interesting for purposes of the game in question.

Best,
Ron