News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Message quotes and Font size

Started by Alan, December 13, 2002, 10:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

I've noticed that after a second block of quoted text, my body text is always in miniscule font.  Is there a way I can change this?

Where can I find a list of BBCodes?
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

Ron Edwards

Hi Alan,

You have access to editing your own posts, which we encourage by using the Preview button before hitting Submit. This also helps people avoid cross-posting, by the way. Anyway, regarding editing, you'll see the code as well as the text, and you can alter or delete the small-font code easily.

Everyone should only edit posts for purposes of grammar. Never edit a post's content after it's been replied to. This is an honor-system thing, but it's crucial to the Forge's identity.

For BBC help, check out the FAQ link near the top of any Forum page (like this one). If you have any more questions, lots of us can help.

Best,
Ron

Emily Care

I've experienced the same thing Alan is talking about despite previewing and pre-editing.  I was quite baffled by it.  

--Emily Care
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Oh. Well, in that case, it's a Clinton question. I dunno nothin' 'bout that disobedient-software thing.

Best,
Ron

Alan

Hi all,

I just checked the FAQ.  It seems that BBCode is just HTML with square brackets instead of angle brackets.  Is that right?

RE: Editing messages.  I've been doing that for a while now and I do always indicate any sustantive changes in content.

RE: font and quote problems - yeah this seems to be a bug.  However, I've noticed that some posters have it and others don't.  I was wondering if they knew something I didn't.
- Alan

Ron Edwards

Hi Alan,

BBC is mostly like HTML, yes, although review the differences in link code specifically. BBC is a lot simpler in that regard.

As for editing, I want to remind you that changing content of a post, retroactively, is not permitted at the Forge. Changing it and then saying, "I changed it," is not permitted either. (Again, if some typo is bugging you, then fix that, but that's about it.)

Best,
Ron

Alan

Hi Ron,

I found the FAQ explaination of BBCodes, but no actually listing of the codes.  Where is it?
- Alan

quozl

--- Jonathan N.
Currently playtesting Frankenstein's Monsters

Clinton R. Nixon

As for the smaller font size - well, I'm not sure. Here's my guess: every browser implements CSS differently. On every browser I've used, I haven't seen the problem, but I've heard about it enough to believe in it.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

M. J. Young

If I'm understanding the problem correctly--
Quotethe system is designed to make quoted text appear slightly smaller than regular text;
Quotebut if you repeat quotes within quotes, that should apply again,
Quoteand again if you repeat the process,
Quotefor each time you repeat it.
But browsers display fonts differently,
so some will have much smaller fonts inside the quotes than others,
and there's not much you can do about this unless you've got a way to bump the font size up across the board,
Which might result in very large fonts for the main text.

Of course, I'm guessing based on observation; there might be a way to fix it so that quoted text is not smaller, but it would have to be a system adjustment--text size codes do not appear with the quote code.

On the other hand, it might be possible to include text size coding to enlarge small text; I've never tried it. Also, I note that with this browser, at least (NS6.2), there are only two font sizes displayed--it gets smaller after the first quote code, and larger again after the first /quote code. So it's not a problem for my viewing.

--M. J. Young

Alan

Quote from: M. J. YoungIf I'm understanding the problem correctly--

Nope, it doesn't happen with nested quotes.  It happens with sequential quotes.

Quotebut if you repeat quotes within quotes, that should apply again,

On my machine, all text at this point on is the same fount size as the quote text.
- Alan

Valamir

On all of my machines since the first time I posted on the forge all text appears the same size, quote or otherwise...