News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Elfs is a funny silly cool game

Started by lumpley, August 12, 2001, 11:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpley

And that's pretty much all I have to say until I get to play it.

Oh, except: is player-director stance the same thing as gm-director stance?  Does gm-director stance have another name than 'director' that I just don't know, or is it as it seems to me the same thing?

-lumpley

Ron Edwards

Hey,

I tend to think of stance as a player thing, not really applicable to GMs, but on the other hand I can see that that isn't really true.

I'd venture to say that stance issues are the same for both GM and players, although a different distribution of stances between the two roles seems to apply.

Best,
Ron

lumpley

Uh oh.  This isn't about Elfs but what the hey.

Does one have stances With-Regard-To (for instance: right now I'm IC toward my guy, but in the back of my mind I'm Director toward this NPC I'm in charge of, and all along I'm Author toward the town we happen to be in) or is one only ever in one stance toward one thing at a time?

I think it must be the former, for GMs at least.  Otherwise how do you account for it?  Wicked rapid switching?

-lumpley

Ron Edwards

Hey,

Since stance is specifically defined as a player's relationship toward his or her character, the definition neatly sidesteps the GM issue.

Total cop-out, I know. What I REALLY mean, of course, is that no one really knows the answer regarding GMs and stance. It doesn't help that the term "GM" really covers a huge range of activities and roles toward game-events, not just one thing.

Best,
Ron