News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Using CAH for Gargoyles.....

Started by urbwar, December 29, 2002, 01:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbwar

Quote from: Cynthia Celeste Miller

Care to share any of your game?  I always love hearing such things.  :)

Sure! I was thinking of following some of the basic ideas of the first season, starting in the past. However, instead of Scotland, I was thinking more towards setting it in someplace like Egypt, where Gargoyles would seem out of place. They'd be servants of some lord (if set really far in the past, then for a pharoh of the lower nile, before the upper and lower were united), get betrayed fighting some bad guys, etc, etc, then get turned to stone until they "rise higher than the Tower of Babel"

Cut to modern day, where they are brought to the skyscraper owned by the intial bad guy, who will be pretty much like Xanatos. He'll mislead them, and along the way they will learn the truth, and turn against him, foiling his immediate plans (and battling some robots that look like them).

My inital goal is to actually run it first as a mini-series, with a 90 minute to 2 hour intro episode (much like the initial Gargoyles movie), then run 4-6 other episodes to flesh out the initial story arc of them vs the Billionaire bad guy and his cronies. They'll fight high tech mercs, some robots, a renegade member of their clan who sometimes uses sorcery, and the billionaire himself, who will have powered armor that looks like one of them.

The tentative title I have for it is "Gargoyles: The Awakening". If it goes over well with my players, then I'll plan successive mini-series (Since we play every 2 weeks, and I am not the only GM, it's better to plan them as mini-series and specials right now).

I'm leaning towards an over arcing plotline where they were pawns in a war between various Egyptian gods. Their renegade clan member was corrupted by Set, while they Gargoyles were always considered servants of Khonshu, the moon god (also patron of Marvel Comics superhero Moon Knight). There will probably be an Egyptian sorceror similar to the Arch-Mage who they run afoul of every so often. He'll be immortal because he was mummified and brought back to life. Their renegade clan member would be immortal because she is bonded to an ancient pharoh (much like Demona was bonded to MacBeth), who now hates the creatures guts (or as a twist, make the human a woman, and the gargoyle a man).

Here's a question, seeing as how I haven't gotten far in the pdf version of the rules yet. How would you handle their turning to stone by day? It looks like a limitation, but they also heal while turned to stone. I'm sure that would be an SA, but any thoughts on how to run it?
Join the Buffy Rpg Mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/btvsrpg-eden/

Eddy Fate

Quote from: urbwarHere's a question, seeing as how I haven't gotten far in the pdf version of the rules yet. How would you handle their turning to stone by day? It looks like a limitation, but they also heal while turned to stone. I'm sure that would be an SA, but any thoughts on how to run it?

I would make it an SA, using Healing as the main SA component, with the major disadvantage/restriction "Must Turn To Stone During The Day".  I would also make it a Story Hook, to allow players a chance to get experience for their major flaw.  :-)
Eddy Webb
Vice-President, Spectrum Game Studios
Co-Line Developer for http://www.zmangames.com/CAH/">Cartoon Action Hour
http://www.shadowfist.com/html/store_CAH.htm">Order CAH online!

urbwar

Quote from: Eddy Fate
I would make it an SA, using Healing as the main SA component, with the major disadvantage/restriction "Must Turn To Stone During The Day".  I would also make it a Story Hook, to allow players a chance to get experience for their major flaw.  :-)

That sounds workable! I'll have to file it away for when I get the printed copy. First up will be a buffy mini-series, then I can plan my Gargoyles mini-series
Join the Buffy Rpg Mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/btvsrpg-eden/