News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Hello?

Started by Arashi, December 30, 2002, 04:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arashi

hey where'd everyone go?

Ron Edwards

Hi Chris,

Lots of readers today, not much posting. Dunno why.

Anyway, hello, you are not alone, spooky music ...

Best,
Ron

Arashi

whew thats good. I'm scared in here by meself. this place used to be hoppin!

lol

Eric J.

Yeah, I really wish I could get a few more responses to my Indie game design thread.  I mean; my worst threads got more attention, and that includes my "Classes vs. Reality" thread.  Jack's response was great, but I don't get good ideas for RPGs very often and would like a bit more feedback from others.

Tim Denee

My guess is Christmas/New Years. It's a busy time in the real world, doesn't leave much room for the Forge.

greyorm

Quote from: Tim DeneeMy guess is Christmas/New Years. It's a busy time in the real world, doesn't leave much room for the Forge.
Yep. The holidays always see a huge decrease in any form of social activity: frex, our three campaigns are effectively put on hold for the entire month of December.

As well, posting levels everywhere drop, particularly when you have many college or younger students involved (most are at home for the holidays or traveling), and keep in mind that taxes and such are also done for most businesses around this time of year.

So there's a lot happening to draw people away from regular activities during the stretch between mid-November and New Year's, and it isn't just here at the Forge. Soon as people get back into their regular routines, things pick right back up.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Jack Spencer Jr

Strange, I had felt that the discussion had picked up recently. Of course, I don't gage the activity by raw number of posts so much as post to a thread I find interesting. I mean, let's face it, if you have no interest in a topic, it might as well not be there....woooooo! And lately we've had the Item Collecting threads and other that I had found really, really interesting compared to,...other stuff, I guess. And I've been participating in spite of holiday crap and going in for emergency surgery on the 21st for an arterial bleed in my nose and spending an extra day in the hospitol because of the blood loss (I would almost pass out standing up. It was something to behold) So I'm still hanging around, family get-togethers or medical problems or no. Trouble is that not as many people are posting, plenty reading, just not posting. I could talk to myself, but why do that? THe main thing is no one will post if no one else posts, you see. But this may be part of the Forge's personality in that people will not post unless they believe they have something of substance to say. Unlike, say, RPGnet where smart-ass joke posts are the norm.

Aethelwulffe

Another FNG here.  Another hapless writer burning out and looking for inspiration... Or perhaps just a means of getting back to perspiration.  RPG net is just too aggressive.  They don't read and respond.  They just belt out stuff too much.  Any people here that like to discuss and create?

-Aethelwulffe
"And for my Pranks, men call me by the name of Robin Goodfellow"....

Ron Edwards

Hi there Aethelwulffe,

And welcome to the Forge. I hope you cruise about a bit in the various forums and get an idea of what we're about. There's a sticky post at the top of the Site Discussion forum that'll explain the slightly unusual netiquette we (mostly) practice.

One thing to consider is that people like to be pretty concrete around here. If you're posting in Actual Play, then discuss a real role-playing session; if you're posting in Indie Design, then present something more focused than "hey! an idea!" If there's something to chew on, chances are that it will get pretty well chewed.

Best,
Ron