News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Publish for Money Question

Started by Ian Freeman, August 13, 2001, 04:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Freeman

I have a question for those of you who have published games over the internet with credit card payment, and where the game was in electronic form. Sorcerer would be a good example.

Are there any legal hoops that need to be jumped through to accomplish any of this? Do you need a vendors license or anything else like that? Or should i just set up an account w/ verza (or whoever).

[ This Message was edited by: Ian Freeman on 2001-08-13 20:39 ]
Ian Freeman
"Dr. Joyce looks profoundly unconvinced (I don't blame him really, this is all a pack of lies)"  -- Iain Banks, The Bridge

Gordon C. Landis

Are there any legal whoops that need to be jumped through to accomplish any of this? Do you need a vendors license or anything else like that? Or should i just set up an account w/ verza (or whoever).

I know this question has been asked and answered here once or twice before, but a quick search failed to turn up the appropriate thread.

If I stumble across 'em, I'll come back and add the info, but for now . . . I'd encourage you to poke into the older postings here, I *KNOW* there's info to be found . . . somewhere . . .

Gordon C. Landis
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Clay

The correct answer is: check with your chamber of commerce.  One of their main reasons for existing is to keep local business clued in about legislative and regulatory issues.  They can also help you get access to additional useful business services, and help with networking within your local community.

Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Ron Edwards

Clay's answer is probably the correct one, and my answer will probably HORRIFY most people ... so do not consider the following to be legal advice.

Basically, I just set up an account with a credit card company and went for it. Since I made a mere pittance my first year, it was totally irrelevant as far as taxes go.

Now, things are changing (my gross on Sorcerer is measured in the thousands), but that's how it went back then.

Best,
Ron

Clinton R. Nixon

I'd have to agree with both Clay and Ron here. I've just started selling http://www.heartburngames.com/urge.html">Urge, and wanted an actual imprint for it and the rest of my games, so I just chose a name, got a website, and started selling.

On Clay's side, though, there are a lot of services out there from your local, state, and federal government to help small businesses, and if you're quite serious about trying your hand at small-press publishing, you should probably go through all the right channels, as they can assist you with advice - and money, quite possibly.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games